Proaim boom pole/blimp vs. Ktech/Rode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Proaim boom pole/blimp vs. Ktech/Rode?

I was looking to get this K-tek KE-1100CCR (for a great price, I might add):

K-Tek KE-110CCR Wired Professional Boom Pole Side Exit - eBay (item 310286169774 end time May-07-11 14:03:39 PDT)

I was looking around for blimps, also. The Rode blimp is $300. However, this Indian one is over half the price:

12ft Boom Pole w XLR cable for mic windshield blimp new | eBay

Then I saw another produce from India that is both the pole and blimp for a low price:

60cm Blimp Windjammer Furry Fur fr RODE Sennheiser Mic - eBay (item 380285428428 end time May-02-11 21:36:39 PDT)

Does anyone have experience with any of these products? Any opinions? Thanks!!

Last edited by Patrick Janka; April 14th, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Proaim boom pole/blimp vs. Ktech/Rode?

I saw the same thing. The price is very tempting since the boom pole and blimp are the price of the Rode Blimp alone.

I think if you will do a search you will find some complaints that the Proaim blimp rattles. I don't remember for sure if it was on this forum so you may have to google.

If you do buy the Indian pole and blimp please report back on the quality as I would consider buying it in the future.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Proaim boom pole/blimp vs. Ktech/Rode?

I don't know about the pole, but I remember reading here or another forum that the India-made blimps are pretty flimsy. The plastic was said to be very brittle and subject to damage from a light knock. I think this is one of those cases of "you get what you pay for". It probably works fine until it breaks, but it will probably break before too long. With a Rode or Rycote zeppelin system, you've at least got a decent warranty to back things up. Does this company offer any kind of warranty?
Andy Balla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio