sound cleaning question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

sound cleaning question

I am mixing audio for a feature film and need to clean up the audio. The audio isn't horrible, but it's not great either. We used a boom mic straight into a zoom recorder but no pre-amp (despite my strong recommendation). There is a prominent electrical noise in all the audio. In the cases where the boom guy was able to get close enough there's enough separation in volume that it's workable. But, some of the actors were very weak voiced and sometimes the boom guy didn't get close enough so the noise is an issue.

There are also some shots where a/c or outside generators (or loud a/c units) really muddy up the audio and sound like white noise.

I've used soundsoap 2 and haven't been too happy with most of the results in the past as the outcome sounded weird. Removing narrow frequency sounds like audio cleaning products always show in demos is one thing, but removing electrical noise or a/c noise seems to be all over the frequency spectrum and seems to be really difficult to remove.

I don't restore any music or anything like that, I only need it to clean up film audio. Should I get RX advanced, or would RX2 be sufficient? There's a huge price difference between them! Thanks!
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: sound cleaning question

Adobe Soundbooth has some excellent tools for audio cleanup. I've created a couple of tutorials that might help you with that (and similar) noise reducing software:
YouTube - Audio Noise Fixing in Adobe Soundbooth
YouTube - Advanced Noise Reduction in Adobe Soundbooth
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: sound cleaning question

Nice pair of videos, although the cough does sound like it's been added in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio