Tips For Dual Eyes from Singular Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tips For Dual Eyes from Singular Software

I bought the standalone version of sound the Plural Eyes synching soft ware, so I could work across any editor I might need to be using. I usually edit in Vegas, and in retrospect, wonder if I should have just bought the plugin for it instead, but that is another story. Here are some things I've learned about Dual Eyes.

1. Dual Eyes isn't real good about telling you what is going on. Last night for instance, I placed about 60 .wav sound files and 80 or so Canon EOS video files into a synching process, and the software went to work, It displayed an green ribbon purportedly telling you what is going on. It eventually landed on a analyzing note, and I went to bed. Got up this morning, it was still claiming to be analyzing. I waited a long time more, and nothing changed. Ultimately, I cancelled. I had check "try real" hard, and maybe it was just trying to hard. My fix is to not try to synch to many files at a time, because I think my 3 gigs of memory on my Vista Maching may be an issue. Works great with smaller clusters of files.

2. Speaking of "try real hard", don't use it, unless you just aren't getting any synch. I have have the same video file synch with several audio files while haveing that selected. I think "try real hard" actually means the program will be less selective in matching with available tracks.

3. Network Disk: If the hard drive you are working on is Network mapped, Dual Eyes gets befuddled. At least on my Vista machine. I get befuddled because of it. The end result is that on such a drive, though you tell Dual Eyes to create a synched video and sound file, it doesn't. It fails to tell you anything, and you spend days trying to figure it out. This happened to me last November, when I first used Dual Eyes, and when I posted about the problem I was having at the Dual Eyes part of the support forum, I was told the fix was not to use DualEyes in a network mapped disk. So I went to the offending disk and reset, and went on happily about my business and forgot all about the issu.. I recently added a NextStar Hard Drive Dock to the one I already was running, and started editing from that, and, guess what, I forgot about the network mapping issue. I spent a day trying to figure out what was going on, when back to the Dual Eyes forum, and to my embarrassment, saw, the issue I had raised in November.

But, Singular Software, why does there have to be an issue like that sitting out there ?

Anyone else using Dual Eyes that has some tips ?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tips For Dual Eyes from Singular Software

Latest issue wit Dual Eyes:

Again, while loving the program, I ran into another issue with Dual Eyes and resulting files when migrated to Vegas.

This occurred on files I synched and created synched movie file from the menu option. I sent them to the editor who pulled them into Vegas. He did a single addition of about 75 files into the media bin, and when he did so. Vegas would crash. After experimentation, it seems it was occurring as he added any file amounts over 32.

Cannot figure out why. Adding the original files that were not synched in the same manner does not cause any issue in Vegas.

Idea why, anyone ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio