plugging wireless Xmitter into sound board? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #1
Major Player

plugging wireless Xmitter into sound board?

I have a sampson wireless mic system. Instead of the mic, I'd like to attach the wireless transmitter to a PA sound board via a mini-XLR to XLR cable.

Will this work without frying something? are the electrical levels (impedance) compatible?

thanks
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: plugging wireless Xmitter into sound board?

Most sound board outputs are line level 1/4". To have it plug into your Samson xmitter instead of your microphone, you need to use something like a Direct box. That will convert the line level 1/4" to mic level XLR (male). You then use an xlr female to xlr mini making sure your genders are correct.

Don't cheap out on the direc box. I lime whirlwind personnally. Ymmv
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Just to clarify, i want to be able to record the theater's wireless mics that are being fed into the sound board. So I want to take the output of the sound board and feed it into my wireless transmitter that will broadcast it to the receiver that's attached to my camera.

I looked up direct boxes and it seems they do the opposite (?) or do they send the signal in both directions???

I'm guessing that any soundboard that has an XLR output will be the correct impedance to connect my transmitter to. If it's only a 1/4" output, I'd need to convert it.... (?)

thanks
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Robert, Les is talking about is the feed coming out of the sound board to your wireless transmitter.

While the wireless feeds coming into the board are mic level, the output form the board most likely will be line level. So what the direct box will do is take the feed from the board (line level), and convert it to mic level (output from direct box).

I don't have the Samson anymore, but have been using the Sennheiser wireless units, which let me adjust the output level from my transmitter. For board feeds i normally adjust this to -30 db.

However, a direct box or pad of some kind coming from the board to the transmitter is still your safest/best course of action. I have used a Rolls direct box in the past with good results, as well as pads from Audio Technica.
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Major Player

so even if a board has XLR out, it's at a higher voltage than I want for the XLR into my transmitter?
I'll do some more reading on the direct box - thanks
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

As a rule, you can't depend on the connector to tell you the impedance. Get the make and model of the sound board and look it up on the schematic. It will be clear in the user guide as to whether the XLR outputs are line or mic level.

Michael, thanks for eloborating to make it clearer.....
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

99/9% of sound boards have line level outputs, including the aux. sends, sub-masters, groups, ect. .. though most Mackie's XLR main outs are mic/line switchable, but chances are, they're already be in use. In addition most of the other outs are 1/4" TRS with can be used balanced or unbalanced. IMO, your best, affordable trouble-free option is a DI to feed your transmitter mic level. As a bonus, many have a switchable pad. Most have a ground lift.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio