PinMic - warning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Trustee

PinMic - warning

This maybe elementary but I have just learnt it the hard way.

I have over the past couple of weeks finally begun filming a major project and have done about 3 hours out of 7. I've done it in my home studio and am doing everything: filming, audio, presenting, etc, so when filming I can't monitor audio.

I have just discovered that I had the connection between the PinMic cable and the MiCom Adapter slightly loose and so have static periodically throughout the recording caused by movement at the connection. I'm recording with two mics, a Rode PinMic and a Rode NT3 and unfortunately the static is on both tracks.

The best spin I can put on it is that I can take the 3 hours filming to date, and download time of about 7 hours (4 cameras) as a practice run!!! Hmmm...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: PinMic - warning

Everyone has had equipment failures but the best procedures catch the problems as early as possible.
Not monitoring the audio is a big risk to take. You probably won't do that again. Get some help.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Trustee

I had monitored the whole setup in a couple of dry runs, but this didn't occur in them. The connection must have worked loose by itself during miscellaneous handling, and was worse on my second lot of filming. I picked it up this morning while downloading the second lot of video with the primary audio tracks...

Audio from the earlier download has it far less. I had listened to sections of this earlier filming but not the bits with the static...
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #4
Trustee

I don't understand why a bad connection on one input would cause noise on both channels unless maybe it affected the phantom power supply.

I have no experience of Micon adapters but after looking at them on the Rode website I would have thought they would be pretty reliable. Are they not normally OK?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #5
Trustee

It's not the reliability of the adapter. It's that I had not ensured that the cable was wound tight into it, and so it unwound a bit and wobbled causing the static. I am about to start filming all over again. The connection is tight!!

The pinmic is through phantom power on a Juicedlink and the NT3 is also through the Juicedlink but running on battery.
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not familiar with how the Juicedlink is set up, but were you recording the lav and boom to both channels (panned to center)? Probably best to ensure you a clean recording of each mic by panning one to the left channel, the other to the right channel, that way if something goes wrong (in this case your connector), you have a clean boom track to fall back on.

Not sure if that is what happened, but if so...

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
It's not the reliability of the adapter. It's that I had not ensured that the cable was wound tight into it, and so it unwound a bit and wobbled causing the static. I am about to start filming all over again. The connection is tight!!

The pinmic is through phantom power on a Juicedlink and the NT3 is also through the Juicedlink but running on battery.
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Is it possible to confirm that you no longer have this issue when the micon connector is tightly connected to the pinmic cable?

Also, I wasn't aware that we needed phantom power to run a pinmic. Must double-check that one. Where's Chad when we need him ... :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Trustee

Well I tightened the connection up real good and monitored it for tests, wiggling the connection - and no static. I've recorded another hour and a half and will shortly download and will know for sure then, though I'm confident the loose connection was the issue.

Yep, a PinMic needs 48v phantom power through Rode XLR adapter...or 2v > max 5v through Rode wireless adapters. (from manual)
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ostroff View Post
I'm not familiar with how the Juicedlink is set up, but were you recording the lav and boom to both channels (panned to center)? Probably best to ensure you a clean recording of each mic by panning one to the left channel, the other to the right channel, that way if something goes wrong (in this case your connector), you have a clean boom track to fall back on.

Not sure if that is what happened, but if so...

Good luck!
Yes Dan, I was panning them left and right - to separate channels, which is why I thought I should have had a clean track from the boom.
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Trustee

Which makes me wonder again if the problem with the connector was somehow affecting the phantom power supply to the other mic as well.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Trustee

The other mic was on its own battery power...not being powered by phantom power...though it could be...
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Major Player

There is no excuse for not monitoring with cans the entire time. You've heard why now. It's a total bummer, and I'm sorry your audio is messed up. But you simply must have cans on the whole time, always. Even the most pro set-up can encounter a glitch.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Major Player

PS - It may nave been another connection if it's in both tracks.
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
PS - It may nave been another connection if it's in both tracks.
I agree w/ Chad here, odd it would be on both tracks, doesn't sound to me like the PinMic connector would be to blame.
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
There is no excuse for not monitoring with cans the entire time. You've heard why now. It's a total bummer, and I'm sorry your audio is messed up. But you simply must have cans on the whole time, always. Even the most pro set-up can encounter a glitch.
Well...nice ideal, but simply not possible in this case.

I'm easy about having to refilm. Good practice to make me more fluent in the presentation...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio