Wireless Lavalier which one to get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Lavalier which one to get?

I'm shopping for a wireless Lavalier microphone kit and I have my eye on the Sennheiser Evolution G3 just wondering if there's anything else I should look at for under $800 and what are a few things to consider before buying a wireless mic.
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wireless Lavalier which one to get?

There are nicer solutions for more money, but few (zero?) good solutions for less.
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Trustee

I came to the same conclusion as Jon. There are better but they cost a lot more. I've compared my G3 to all the other comparably priced systems and haven't found any better.

-Garrett
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I have both the Sennheiser G3 and the Sony UWP systems. With each I have both the lavalier microhone and the XLR plug in transmitter for using regular mics.

I think both are great systems. The Sony is a little less money as you can find it for $499 or less. The Sennheiser body pack transmitter for the lav is a little smaller than the Sony but the Sony appears to me to be sturdier.

Just stay away from Azden. I have a dual uhf system from them I thought was pretty good until I got the Sony then realized how much better things could be.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I still have an Azden 100ULT (single channel) and it's REALLY good but alas you cannot get them any more!! Yeah I agree about the dual channel...cost me nearly $1000 and it is nowhere as good as the 100ult!!! The new dual channel is the 330 ULT and the first thing I found was that they ship with the EX-553 lav mics and I got really poor sound...however IF I use the 503 mics from the 100ult they are WAY better...!! Guess I might need to sell the dual system and buy two Sony packs????

Funnily enough I'm sure the Azden Dual is purely a bad mic issue!!! If you still have the Azden ...try the Sony mics in the body packs..you might be surprised...for now I use the dual receiver and then use a 10BT body pack and lav and it works very well....so either the mics and/or 35BT transmitters suck!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

A couple of us have posted comments about the Audio Technica ATW-1800 dual diversity systems.

I've had mine for a few years. Used it mostly in marine environments. They're tough and reliable. Performance and audio quality are very good. I run 4 mics with zero dropout problems.

Here's an example. 4 mics plus the on-camera mic on a charter boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frpNaBX_11w

Fly fishing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDjthprwrc

Kayak fisher wearing a lav.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7adj3kFgQ

All of these were done with the ATW-1800.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you go with Sennheiser, don't waste your money on the inexpensive $25 lavalier mics. The Sennheiser me-2 is a great run and gun mic.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Tourist

I have both the Sennheiser and the Sony UWP and I like the Sony better, as I have yet to experience a drop out with it.
Steve Larose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I agree with Chris about the Azden. I used 2 Azdens model 500UDR for many years and never had a single problem or complaint from anyone about sound quality however I was using Sony mics and I know for sure that those mics made the difference. Were they as good a Lectros? Nope but were they terrible, hardly.
Today though, I'm using the AT-1800 dual channel like Dean (only using 2 mics though and not on open water) and for the 4? years I've been using the system it has been 100% flawless. I don't use the stock mics (I use Countryman EMWs and am considering getting B3s) and I use the plugin transmitter on a Sennheiser drum mic for receptions and it has never failed me either. I love the idea of being able to monitor both my wireless sets at the same time.
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I still have an Azden 100ULT (single channel) and it's REALLY good but alas you cannot get them any more!! Yeah I agree about the dual channel...cost me nearly $1000 and it is nowhere as good as the 100ult!!! The new dual channel is the 330 ULT and the first thing I found was that they ship with the EX-553 lav mics and I got really poor sound...however IF I use the 503 mics from the 100ult they are WAY better...!! Guess I might need to sell the dual system and buy two Sony packs????

Funnily enough I'm sure the Azden Dual is purely a bad mic issue!!! If you still have the Azden ...try the Sony mics in the body packs..you might be surprised...for now I use the dual receiver and then use a 10BT body pack and lav and it works very well....so either the mics and/or 35BT transmitters suck!!!

Chris
Chris, that is a good idea about trying the Sony mic on the Azden body pack. It seems that with the stock mics my Azden picked up a lot of clothes noise that the Sony and Sennheiser don't so clearly that is probably the mic. The difference in audio quality is probably also mainly the mic.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Major Player

I have the Sony UWP ($449 @ B&H) and with the money I saved upgraded the lav to an Oscar Sound Tech 802. Very pleased with it.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Inner Circle

At work, we have a Shure UHF system. IMO, this and Azden products are made for low budget, rock and roll stage use - they are acceptable when things are loud enough to cover up the noise. The HF rolloff is pretty bad too, but maybe you wouldn't notice in a raunchy bar.

For video, we really need top quality as dialog is often fully exposed.
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Trustee

I'm a g2/g3 user and about 3 months ago re-miked my kits with a Sanken COS11 and Voice Technologies VT500. What a difference!!! The mics are a bit different so I choose based on who I'm putting them on. They match my Rode NTG3 shotgun extremely well.

If you can swing the extra cash, it really puts the Sennheiser kits in another league sound-wise.
As for reliable, I have only had one situation where the wireless just wouldn't work...inside a hospital near their wireless patient monitoring equipment. There was so much RF floating around it jammed both of my systems!
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser but there are two versions set A/516-558mhz and set B/626-668mhz
can anyone explain the difference? The kit comes with a ME2 Lavalier Microphone but not sure if its directional or omnidirectional mic doesn't anyone know?
The receiver will be plugged into my Zoom 4HN (at some point I'd like to get a Sound Devices MixPre-D Compact Field Mixer)
Some of you mentioned upgrading to a better lav mic but does the one that come with the kit any good?
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM   #15
Inner Circle

There is no difference other than the frequency range in which they operate. Different locations have different patterns of potentially interfereing radio services. Having different frequency blocks allows you to buy a wireless set that operates in the frequency block that is the least populated by other services competing for spectrum in your area.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio