Rode Blimp suspension at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Rode Blimp suspension

I've read many positive comments about the Rode Blimp and its components, but many negative comments about rubber band-style suspensions.

Is this suspension different/better than a rubber band type? You can see it in the product datasheet or user manual from the downloads tab here: RDE Microphones - Blimp
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rode Blimp suspension

Hi Philip, you'll read about the Rode Blimp and the various Rycote models. I have both types and they both work very well.

If you set either up properly, they both work well enough to reduce the sound of wind to be useable in your productions.

If you show trees blowing sideways, you should also have some wind sounds to accompany the visuals.

Record some as a separate exercise efx so you can add them in in post.

Knowing that, you can kill all wind sounds in your subsequent video recordings, and you can guarantee your voice recordings will be clear and eligible.

Cheers.
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fass View Post
I've read many positive comments about the Rode Blimp and its components, but many negative comments about rubber band-style suspensions.

Is this suspension different/better than a rubber band type? You can see it in the product datasheet or user manual from the downloads tab here: RDE Microphones - Blimp
This is the "rubber band" type and is a copy of the old, now discontinued, Rycote suspension (and copied without fully understanding the "whys" so the original designer tells me).

Rycote discontinued that suspension when they developed the patented "Lyre" suspension which is very much better.

The Rycote S-series is cheaper than the Rřde and uses the "Lyre". The suspension is much better and the wind suppression is excellent - the Rřde is heavier and slightly larger; the slightly larger size means that in the very worst conditions the Rřde has the edge in wind suppression (but not mechanical isolation where the Rycote wins).

For the money I would get the S-series myself.

This is a useful article that explains suspensions with test results as well - Keeping Microphones Quiet
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Major Player

After reading that article and Chad's review, I bought a Rycote S-Series and I was not disappointed. The Lyre suspension is MUCH better at reducing handling noise than the $50 Pearstone isolation mount with the rubber-band-like suspension that I had been using previously.

I've noticed that the rubber band type suspensions seem to be expendable, as the rubber rots and needs replacement whereas the lyre looks like it'll last until I break it myself :-)
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrow View Post
After reading that article and Chad's review, I bought a Rycote S-Series and I was not disappointed. The Lyre suspension is MUCH better at reducing handling noise than the $50 Pearstone isolation mount with the rubber-band-like suspension that I had been using previously.

I've noticed that the rubber band type suspensions seem to be expendable, as the rubber rots and needs replacement whereas the lyre looks like it'll last until I break it myself :-)
The rubber ones also bounce and droop.

I don't thing you will break the "Lyres" - I have seen them twisted over and over and still return to the original shape - I have also seen them thrown across a room - the "Lyre" is very very very tough.
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #6
Major Player

I've been leaving out a key piece of information: I can get the mic I've been considering (Neumann 81i) and the dealer throws in the Rode Blimp free.

I suppose I could sell the blimp on eBay and use the funds toward a Rycote.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio