Noisy NT2-a? Short comparison with C414B-ULS and U89 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #1
Tourist

Noisy NT2-a? Short comparison with C414B-ULS and U89

Have posted this on a few other forums, but haven't really gotten anywhere, so maybe someone here has more experience with these mics.

I recently bought a used NT2-a becouse I was interested in it's low self-noise for sound effects, VO and similar. When I got it I did a short test on speech recording it on it's own and simultaneously with a C414B-ULS and a U89 that I have access to in studio. The NT2-a sounds pretty good I think, but the self-noise was much higher in comparison. The NT2-a states a much lower self-noise spec than the others (though they too are very quiet) and is supposedly really good in that departement. I wonder it's faulty (it has a faint smell around it, not a good sign), so I hope you can help me shed some light on it. I tried looking for some other tests made on speech to compare, and all I could find was one by Ty Ford where he speaks 6'' away and unfortunately doesn't have much silence. I used that as a reference for levels (he also had a test on a U89 that I put in as well).

Here's a link to a zipfile with the clips, recorded in 48kHz and 24bit. The only processing is a bit of level balancing, to put everything at roughly the same level as the NT2-a test by Ty Ford (it's not exact, but should be good enough).
2shared - download NT2-A test, possibly faulty mic.zip

Test 1 is a short comparison between the different mics in a sound booth, all using a cardioid pattern and the speaker being about 8'' (20cm) away. The speaker (myself, so excuse the swedish and a little mouth-noise) is talking a bit softer than Ty Ford (I suspect he also processed his a little), so this should be taken into consideration.

Test 2 is the same setup with the NT2-a only, using both cardioid and figure eight, and then a closer take 3'' away in omni.

Test 3 I tried to match Ty Fords test more closely with only the NT2-a, about 6'' away, and speaking a bit louder. Figure eight and then cardioid.

I'm currently awaiting more information from the seller, before I can contact Rode. If you have any questions or want me to do something different with the files, just let me know!

Mvh
Jesper Magnusson
Jesper Magnusson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio