Sony URX-P2 Wireless tuner output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony URX-P2 Wireless tuner output

Hi, all.

I am micing the talent using a lavalier mic connected to a UTX-B2 transmitter. The mic connected directly into my MacBook Pro produces an excellent sound (for a lav mike). If I test the transmitter with the lav mic while speaking with a loud voice, the transmitter shows full volume. If I shout, the peak indicator goes red.

I have a Sony URX-P2 tuner. It has a monitor output which is a 3.5mm tip/ring/sleeve connector. When I connect a pair of ordinary headphones to the monitor output, and then get my Mum to talk into the mic from the next room, I hear the mic loud and clear. The tuner also has an "output" socket, which is the "official" output, if you know what I mean. It also looks like a 3.5mm socket but it has a screw around the outside as though the connector is supposed to be screwed in. When I connect those same headphones to the output socket, the signal is monaural and very weak.

Unfortunately I think we've lost the output-to-XLR converter.

What am I missing about this output socket? Is it something other than an ordinary 3.5mm tip/ring/sleeve connector? Do I need to buy the converter and convert the output to XLR to make it electrically happy?

Richard
Richard Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony URX-P2 Wireless tuner output

The output connector is a proper balanced output. When you plug in headphones to that output, you are listening to the DIFFERENCE and I'm surprised you heard as much as you say.

You need a quite simple and basic TRS to XLR cable to connect to a standard XLR balanced input. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So I need the converter and just plug it into one of the EX1's XLR inputs? Turn off phantom power, I suppose. Do I need to do anything to identify the signal to the EX1 as balanced?

Richard
Richard Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Buy the proper cable and get on with your production:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608521-REG/Sony_EC_0_46BX_EC_0_46BX_3_pole_Locking_Mini_Plug.html
When I looked at the specs online, it says that the output is unbalanced, so it is not clear exactly how the output connector is wired. If it were mine, I would just do the test to figure it out. But if you aren't up to hardware hacking and cable construction, just buy the cable and don't spend any more time fooling with it.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

Phew, that was close. Thought we might have to recommend trying a replacement mom for a moment. :-P

Andrew

PS. Also, headphone and line level feeds have different voltages.
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio