Recording audio for interview outside at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 4th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording audio for interview outside

Hi

I'm in the process of planning a documentary. It will be based around power kiting, and I want to interview where the riders will be so that will be outside with a high chance of it being pretty windy! My camera will be a canon 600d/60d.

What are some good options to think about? Could I maybe use a Rode Video mic with an extension cord? Or maybe use the SONY WCS999? Or a zoom h2?

Sorry, a bit of a noob with audio!
Ben Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recording audio for interview outside

Will you have a dedicated person available to run a boom mic?
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, somone will be there to help.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For moving around quick a boom with a shotgun mic covered with a "dead cat" or a "blimp" will get you excellent results in a windy environment.

A Rode NTG2 would do a good job for you. Both a blimp and dead cat style wind screens are available for that mic.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Also, just watched this:

The zoom h1 also looks good? Can put a wind sock on it too. Theres too many options. :(
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
For moving around quick a boom with a shotgun mic covered with a "dead cat" or a "blimp" will get you excellent results in a windy environment.

A Rode NTG2 would do a good job for you. Both a blimp and dead cat style wind screens are available for that mic.
Cheers, will research that mic!
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Trustee

What does "interview" mean exactly? Does it mean the interviewer standing next to the subject on-camera? If that is your scenario, then get a good hand-held "stick mic" and put a good furry wind protection on it. If you have some other scenario planned, please describe it in detail so we will know what you are trying to do.

Your statement that "somone will be there to help" doesn't sound very promising for positioning a boom mic properly. Don't even CONSIDER mounting anything on (or next to) the camera. That is NEVER EVER a good place for a microphone. But it seems convenient so lots of people try it. I suspect all of them have abandoned the practice if they care anything about audio.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
What does "interview" mean exactly? Does it mean the interviewer standing next to the subject on-camera? If that is your scenario, then get a good hand-held "stick mic" and put a good furry wind protection on it. If you have some other scenario planned, please describe it in detail so we will know what you are trying to do.

Your statement that "somone will be there to help" doesn't sound very promising for positioning a boom mic properly. Don't even CONSIDER mounting anything on (or next to) the camera. That is NEVER EVER a good place for a microphone. But it seems convenient so lots of people try it. I suspect all of them have abandoned the practice if they care anything about audio.

Sorry for being so vague!

I'm basically documenting the riders who will be riding on either grass or the beach, and I want to be able to interview them there and then so that the background will be similar to what the action will be.

My idea was for me to set my tripod up looking at the interviewee and I was going to stand alongside my camera asking questions. My questions don't need to be heard as I will cut my own voice out and make the interviewee paraphrase my questions.

Cheers.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Davies View Post
Sorry for being so vague!

I'm basically documenting the riders who will be riding on either grass or the beach, and I want to be able to interview them there and then so that the background will be similar to what the action will be.

My idea was for me to set my tripod up looking at the interviewee and I was going to stand alongside my camera asking questions. My questions don't need to be heard as I will cut my own voice out and make the interviewee paraphrase my questions.

Cheers.
That setup will work well with a boom mic suspended just out of frame. Keep the mic as close to the speaker as possible. Ideally within 16-14" and you will get good results.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Trustee

I would put the "helper" on the camera and stand there with the subject using a hand-held stick mic. Aiming a camera at a simple interview is something any relatively unskilled person can do. Getting good audio is not something to leave to an unskilled random person trying to hold a shotgun mic on a boom. I would NOT recommend trying to use a boom mic for this scenario unless you have a skilled person to do it. A hand-held mic is much more likely to get you good audio than an amateur trying to use a boom.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

+2 to what Richard stated. Having a unskilled boom op is asking for trouble.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
I would put the "helper" on the camera and stand there with the subject using a hand-held stick mic. Aiming a camera at a simple interview is something any relatively unskilled person can do. Getting good audio is not something to leave to an unskilled random person trying to hold a shotgun mic on a boom. I would NOT recommend trying to use a boom mic for this scenario unless you have a skilled person to do it. A hand-held mic is much more likely to get you good audio than an amateur trying to use a boom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
+2 to what Richard stated. Having a unskilled boom op is asking for trouble.
Hmm, I've not used one before but I'm willing to learn... I could always stick my camera on my tripod and I could get to grips with the boom pole while somone else asks the questions.

If not, what sort of hand held mic should I be looking at? I'd rather not have the mic visible, I want only the interviewee to be on screen telling the story.
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Trustee

So it is not so much an interview as a prompted first-person testimony? These production details are necessary to disclose so that we know what you are trying to do here.

I would use a clip-on lav then. Especially if you are in noisy/windy locations, trying to use a shotgun on a boom is just asking for trouble.
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
So it is not so much an interview as a prompted first-person testimony? These production details are necessary to disclose so that we know what you are trying to do here.

I would use a clip-on lav then. Especially if you are in noisy/windy locations, trying to use a shotgun on a boom is just asking for trouble.
heh sorry! So many things to think about.

But yeah, I do not want to be in frame - just the rider (interviewee) paraphrasing my questions to form a story. Will the SONY WCS999 lav mic work okay in windy conditions? I only have £200ish tops to spend on audio by the way
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Sorry Ben, I'm not familiar with the WCS999... however .. I am familiar with Sony's pricing structure and it's less than a $100USD... so I suspect it ain't that good. Like the acclaimed Sennheiser G series wireless, the mic that comes with it may be 'usable'.. but 'not good' for pro results. Generally speaking, one has to spend at least an additional $200USD (more or less) to move up to the next level of quality. That said, Oscar Soundtech makes great mics at very reasonable prices, I assume they ship to the UK. I highly recommended 801 or 802 Tram clone. Oscar SoundTech.com/
In any case, factor in a good fuzzy type windscreen if you're mostly outdoors.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio