Loud rushing noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Loud rushing noise

Good morning, and Happy Memorial Day, all! I searched through the audio forum and wasn't able to find the answer to my dilemma...forgive me in advance if I missed it, but here's my question for the day: I own 2 Senni 100 G2 ENG kits and I'm having a problem with the transmitter units of both kits. The problem stems from a loud rushing noise that seems to be triggered by a poor connection of the mic plug to the input jack on the xmtr. It is very loud and intermittent. Because I'm having a problem with both units, I'm wondering if this was a build problem. I've had nothing but good experiences with Senni gear, but this is quite a nuisance. I can get long passages of time without the loud rushing noise, but it returns when I least expect it ("Murphy's Law").

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? I'm shooting some interviews tomorrow and can fall back to a shotgun on a boom pole if necessary.

Thanks, gang!
TW
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Loud rushing noise

Interesting. Just trying a couple of tests with mine.

1. What happens when you run the TX with the mic unplugged completely?
Is there any signal on the TX display?
(I get 1/7 bars, funny, I thought there would be nothing at all. Disappears when MUTE is on though).

2.With mic still unplugged, does the RX display show the pilot but no signal?
(I get a full 7/7bars RF but 0/7 bars on AF. Can hear plenty white noise though a camera, again disappearing on MUTE). White moise is a kind of 'rushing sound' - like a waterfall.

3. Are both sets showing identical problems simultaneously, or does this show up in one at a time?

From what I found in 1 above, you might have a bad connection in a mic, but it seems unlikely that both sets would fail in the same way unless you have been doing something really bad with the mic cables when putting them away in storage.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, Colin...how's things in Scotland today? My experience is the very same as your numbers 1 & 2. The rushing sound I'm getting is a fair bit louder...actually a crescendo of the sound, compared to "normal" white noise, which is fairly consistent. Re your #3, I didn't have both sets on at the same time, but experienced the sound issue with each one, separately. If I can stabilize the connection of mic to xmtr, I can minimize the errant sound...I'll try to find a way to work around.

Thanks, mate!
TW
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

I have several sets of G2 setups...Im trying to determine the noise you are talking about it could be a couple of things...

1. the frequencies might on the edge of another frequency coming from something RF in the area (radio /TV / or communications TX) Do a scan and change to another frequency group in the unit.

2. The Senni mics often fail about 2-3mm above the 3.5mm moulded plug, it often looks like a small swelling in the cable at that point it will also have a slight kink there also. The only way to fix it is to re-terminate the cable with a new connector.... because of the type of cable they use only do this if you are VERY competent at soldering.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi, Brian! You're right about the molded plug probably not being the best built in the world. I've noticed that if I wiggle it even gently, I'll get that noise. I've also found that If I screw down the locking collar as tight as I can with my hand, there's less likelihood of the noise. I was able to get through my interview job OK and I was able to keep "Mr. Murphy" in his cage. Thanks to you and Colin for the helpful feedback!

Cheers, mateys!
Terry
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Senni locking plugs are often hard to find at times and when you do find them they aren't cheap... Standard 3.5mm stereo plugs can be used in an emergency (Im not advocating this as a permanent fix) just loop the cable through the TX clip to stop the connector being pulled out.

I have done a mock up with red cable so its easy to see.

The little bit of red heat shrink on the antenna is just to identify my units as TX / RX pairs, I have used red, blue, green, yellow, white.... makes life simple on location ;)
Attached Thumbnails
Loud rushing noise-senni-mic-cable.jpg  
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio