Extreme Noise Fluctuation using G2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Extreme Noise Fluctuation using G2

Under many conditions the G2 creates an extreme overload of sound and backs off till another jolt of sound arrives. It happened at a rural wedding with the groom wearing the transmitter and at a dance recital hooked to a phantom converter at the stage. To complicate things the overload is not consistently bad. Whenever I hook the G2 up at home and move around the sound is perfect. Any ideas I can try?
I have a G3 system that works great under the same conditions.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Extreme Noise Fluctuation using G2

That sounds like RF problems with another TX in the area on an adjacent (or very close frequency) could be another radio mic, TV transmitter etc.
This sort of thing is going to occur more often as radio mic bands get shifted and condensed.
Good RF practices are becoming needed these days.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree, interference.
I'll assume you have done your due-diligence prior to shooting, checking for open channels in your area and scanning or a manual search. Sometimes that's not enough, cell phones and other wireless devices in the immediate area. Proper trans/receiver and antenna placement play into the game as well.
It's not a set-it and forget-it thing like a $20 cable.
A more expensive ($3k) system will reject 'outside' signals 'a little' better if everything else has been set-up optimally.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you for your suggestions gentleman. RF interference sounds like an answer. The problem is if I check the wireless before the event it is usually good. After this ad audience with cell and other devices and sound tech's coming in at the last minute firing up their equipment. I do appreciate your ideas but I'm not optimistic I can solve an RF problem once the event starts and I'm stuck behind the camera.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes, that is always the risk of using wireless. Even the best, most expensive, most sophisticated wireless gear is never completely immune from interference and RF noise. And, as you say, covering one-time, live events (like weddings, etc.) and especially with a minimal crew just makes it harder to deal with situations.

No preventive measures before hand can completely immunize you from interference from an audience full of little transmitting devices. I have gone back to wired mics in many places where wireless was once ideal.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio