Weird interference type noises from wireless mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Weird interference type noises from wireless mic?

Hey guys, I tested out a wireless mic yesterday for the wedding I'm doing tomorrow (it's the only one I could get my hands on unfortunately) and it seemed to work great, except for a few times in the file it like statics up and cuts and pops... any idea what that would be? I'm no audio expert, I just threw the mic on him and threw the receiver on my camera then ran it into my h4n.. I could try and hide the receiver closer if you think that'd help... anyway, let me know, thanks!

It starts around 0:20, and gets really bad around 4:00, and a good example of the cutting is around 8:00
Here's the test file.
Wireless Mic test by Evan Bourcier on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Weird interference type noises from wireless mic?

That sounds to me like weak signal dropouts. Make sure that the transmit antenna isn't touching any skin. Use fresh batteries. Keep the receiver as close as is practical to the transmitter. Use headphones to monitor the audio. But you probably know this stuff already.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Trustee

What type of wireless kit is it? Have you scanned frequencies? Also keep the tx/rx antennas on the same plane, i.e. vertical or horizontal. Turn off your cell phone, increase the squelch setting, don't use rechargeable batteries, try moving the receiver around a bit on or off of the camera - my monitor cable messes up the reception of my Sennheiser kit.

Go down the list and by process of elimination figure out whats causing the interference. Otherwise, it could just be the system itself.
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There could be one other reason for the interference and that's the good ol cellphones hunting for the network. DIT DIT DIT! I hate them during critical audio work but in a large group like a seminar or a wedding there is little you can do. YOu aren't going to get everyone to shut them off. Blackberry's are the worst. They mak a very loud noise when they hunt the network. Not saying that's what it is. It's a very distinct noise. DIT DIT DIT with a z on the end. No other way to explain it. Once you hear it, you'll never forget it. Just something to keep in mind for later.
When I do talking heads I insist they either turn their phone off or give it to someone who is off set. I turn mine off as well.
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Trustee

I did not listen to the whole thing, but I heard hiss creeping in from low signal strength, and then outright dropouts as the receiver went into squelch (mute) when the signal dropped so low that it couldn't even recover marginal audio. I did NOT hear any cell phone interference, or any other kind of RF interference, for that matter.

I would NEVER do this kind of gig without a fresh battery in the transmitter and receiver. And I don't trust rechargeable batteries, and I only buy batteries at places that have high turnover (so you are assured of a fresh batch). And have 100% backup for batteries, also.

As others have said, keeping the antennas out where they can operate is a prime requirement. And minimizing the distance between the transmitter and receiver. Even if you have to put the receiver up near the transmitter and run a long cable back to your camera (or mixer, etc.) Or using larger (and/or directional) receiver antennas. These are some of the ways to increase the signal available to the receiver and minimize those kinds of weak signal artifacts.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree totally with Richard.

What frequency range does this wireless operate in?

Sounds like there was a signal fighting your transmitter to get to your receiver.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Signal strength issues - very typical sound. Low signal caused by distance, attenuation from obstacles in the path (usually people), and lastly dead spots caused by reflections that produce areas where if the transmitter strays into them, signal is suddenly lost - theatre folk often call them black holes. Moving the receivers or if used, the remote aerials can usually sort this one. In fact it's this kind of problem that diversity deceivers were designed to solve. Few camera systems have diversity, and those that do are the more expensive ones. I too heard nothing to suggest interference or any form of co-channel noise - that kind of noise has a very particular sound. This clip just make the 'phut' noise as the squelch closes.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I don't trust rechargeable batteries, and I only buy batteries at places that have high turnover (so you are assured of a fresh batch).
Richard I use to buy fresh batteries for every event & only used them once regardless if they still had 80% of juice left until I discovered Sanyo's Eneloop batteries. Do yourself a favour and try the XX Eneloop's they don't lose charge. I've been using them for over a year with zero problems, can't believe how many batteries & how much money I wasted before I found them.

As for the audio problem, that's definitely signal dropouts not interference as mentioned by the others here. Are you using a UHF transmitter? If this is a new problem open up your wireless unit and check that the wire connected to the antenna hasn't come lose, I've had that happen before to one of my units.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

When in doubt and for testing, use fresh Alkaline or Lithium batteries.
That being said, I've gotten very good performance and reliability from Rayovac Hybrids. Like the Eneloops, the "Hybrids" do not 'self-discharge' like standard rechargeables, maintaining more than 85% of a full charge over a year. (so they say) Unfortunately they are still only rated a 1.2V, so a alkaline battery meter isn't accurate, so due diligence must be exercised, keeping track of run-time, keeping pairs or sets together, re-charging and such.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Major Player

+1 for eneloops. With voltage-regulated wireless systems (e.g. Senn g3) especially, there's no reason to use alkalines anymore except if you just can't be bothered to recharge.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #11
Major Player

I can find AA batteries but what about PP9's ?
Should be PP3 the little 9v batteries

Last edited by Donald McPherson; July 8th, 2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: PP9 should be PP3
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Trustee

PP9 appears to be a very odd battery. I don't believe I've ever seen one.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio