Should I get a Sony PCM D-1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Should I get a Sony PCM D-1

I'm coming to this thread late but will put my vote in for a juiced link mixer with the Sony D-50. BTW, B&H says the D1 is "Discontinued" http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406877-REG/Sony_PCM_D1_PCM_D1_2_Channel_Portable_Flash.html
I also have the Roland R-26. Very neat and it has XLR inputs but I don't think it's pre's are as quiet as what you will find on a juiced link mixer.
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #32
New Boot

I have a D-1 and it is great. But more often than not I use it with the XLR-1 and other microphones.

If it was me I'd keep the D-50 and put the money into good microphones to use with the D-50 and other devices long into the future.
Simon Thewlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Hi Michael - long time no see. I feel sort of responsible because as I recall I got you hooked on the D-50 when we met in Santa Fe a couple of years back

I'm still using mine and for what it is it's hard to beat so I think figuring out how to get an audibly "better" result for not much money is really tough. The D-1 is in some ways "better" but is it "enough better" to justify the cost? I'm not sure. And in fact I think the D-50 (and D-1) are so much bang for the buck that it may be hard to improve on it without spending quite a bit more $$$

Separate mics will give you more flexibility but flexibility is a mixed bag - you will need to a) get good mics and recording chain and b) spend perhaps more time than you want to learning how to manage the plethora of options you will be presented with.

Re $ - I think $2k is not going to get you where you want to get in terms of improvement, nor do I think you need a $20k system to get there. Maybe more like $4k - $5k is my best guess. But the investment in time may be the bigger concern

Just advice, you have to decide for yourself of course.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio