Should I get a Sony PCM D-1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Should I get a Sony PCM D-1

Great post Peter, I have a D50 and it's great, I'm still using it with my XLR-1 48V. adaptor. But I had *fun* setting it up ...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...cm-d50-d1.html

Michael, I assume you're not using the limiter on your D-50?

Sounds like you're making video demos of your guitars to promote sales.

I'd try something like a juicelink 231 mixer .. CX231 Camcorder XLR Adapter/Preamp [JL-CX231] - $299.00 : juicedLink, Unique and Trusted Solutions for Audio and Video Production .. a range of different mics, various acoustic locations and mic positions before I opted for the D-1.

And get creative, dress the set, lighting to suit the music and camera angles etc. Like a pro adv agency did it, even look to asking a pro creative director and DP for advice. I'd also produce a CD and mail it out once you get folk interested, it'll get passed around.
When a name guitarist comes to town, try and nail him.

And unless you learn how to correctly dither the higher sampling rates, I'd stay away from them.
The law of diminishing returns would come into play, most folk wouldn't notice the difference.

Cheers.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Allen, thanks for the info. I like that adapter! I'll have to get one of those. The guitar sales are not bad these days, but for sure doing videos is both fun and helps (or not) in promoting my guitars, however sound is number one if your showing off guitars, and it's time to move on from the D-50.

Oddly enough I've read the reviews of the D-50 but I'm not thrilled with it's sound..... there's no warmth, for recording guitars.

BTW, yes the limiter was off, should I turn it on? What does that do correct the distortion?

About higher sampling rates are you referring to 24 bit 192 hz, or the 96 hz?

I have another question........ lets say I get the JL-CX231 adopter for either the D-50 or the D-1..... is there any advantage to the sound quality of the D-1 over the D50 using the XLR adopter, or is the advantage of the D-1 in using it's own mics and pre amps?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Michael,

>>Oddly enough I've read the reviews of the D-50 but I'm not thrilled with it's sound..... there's no warmth, for recording guitars.<<

It's why we suggest using external mics etc. and doing more than just fixing a portable recorder up in front of a guitarist.

>>is there any advantage to the sound quality of the D-1 over the D50 using the XLR adopter, or is the advantage of the D-1 in using it's own mics and pre amps? <<

As a simple portable stand alone recorder the D-1 is better; but if you use the D-50 as a pure recorder - with external mics and pre amp, I do not think you'll hear the difference. All the "warmth" etc you are after comes from the mics. It's asking too much of a little portable recorder alone to do all this. But both are fantasic recorders for what they are.

Peter
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #19
Major Player

OK so, Peter and Allen yer sayin I should stick with my D50, and get the XLR adopter, and a couple of good mic's ( NT-5's) for an investment of around $900.00 instead of the D-1. The little D50 can produce the same results as the D-1 when used with mics?

So basically what yer payin for in the D-1 are the onboard mic's, and pre amps, the rest of the internal circuitry is the same?

If that's the case then I think that's what I will do, problem solved!
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,
In simplistic terms, yes that is our general opinion; certainly for the kind of work you outlined. And it builds upon what you already have, rather start all over again. The actual "recording" element of each Sony is very good;

see the D-50 technical specs: Sony : PCM-D50 (PCMD50) : Technical Specifications : United Kingdom.

and the D-1 technical specs: Sony : PCM-D1 (PCMD1) : Technical Specifications : United Kingdom

And you will see that both have the same low signal to noise ratio when using line in. So feed it a nice warm sound from some decent xlr condenser mics and a good quality pre-amp, and I think you'll be happy with the result. You would also be able to sit comfortably away from the guitarist and monitor via headphones and watch recording levels etc.

The Juicedlink would be a nice battery operated option - it could be screwed underneath the D-50 using the tripod mount - but I mentioned a small normal mixer because you intimated you might like to also record ambient sound from live performances, and this could give more inputs.

Anyway hope all this has helped clarify things a bit! -:)

Peter
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #21
Trustee

Rather than paying $450 for the XLR-1 (the Sony XLR adapter unit for the D50 or D-1), I would spend the extra money and get the Sound Devices MixPre-D. It will give you better controls, meters, and mic preamps.

I you could find a used or old stock MixPre (non D) those usually go for around $550. That would also work very well.

Last edited by Garrett Low; July 12th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Major Player

I'm re thinking things......... what about an Mbox, Pro tools, a good preamp, and a couple a pair of Schoeps? The portability thing really isn't that important for me, and if need be I could just buy a battery pack. The more I talk with people it seems this is what everyone is doing.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Depends a lot on the computer you're using for your workstation, but that gear feeding a proper DAW should give you excellent results. Note that there are other good interfaces besides the mBox and other DAW software besides ProTools to consider. Take a look at Rain Computer's website for some examples of PCs purpose-built for high-end audio recording and editing.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #24
Trustee

If portability isn't an issue then a pair of Schoeps mated to good preamps would be a great way to go. The SD mixers are good but you do pay a premium for the ability to be portable and not need plug in power. Wold you be looking at the

Just my opinion and others may definitely vary.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #25
Trustee

Steve,

What do yo think about the Echo AudiFire interfaces? I'm considering one and have heard some very good things about them for a budget box.

Thanks,
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Depends a lot on the computer you're using for your workstation, but that gear feeding a proper DAW should give you excellent results. Note that there are other good interfaces besides the mBox and other DAW software besides ProTools to consider. Take a look at Rain Computer's website for some examples of PCs purpose-built for high-end audio recording and editing.
I have a Mac book pro I7........ and a 24 inch I mac. I hope I don't have to get a new computer too!
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
If portability isn't an issue then a pair of Schoeps mated to good preamps would be a great way to go. The SD mixers are good but you do pay a premium for the ability to be portable and not need plug in power. Wold you be looking at the

Just my opinion and others may definitely vary.
Thanks Garret you got me thinking more about things when you mentioned the SD preamp mixer......... then I went nuts with possibilities........ god help my family if I become an audiophile.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Thanks Garret you got me thinking more about things when you mentioned the SD preamp mixer......... then I went nuts with possibilities........ god help my family if I become an audiophile.
Unfortunately I am a recovering Audiophile. Yes I still have a $7000 Koetsu hand wound cartridge and turntable but I no longer listen to vinyl. You definitely can go crazy with audio.
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Steve,

What do yo think about the Echo AudiFire interfaces? I'm considering one and have heard some very good things about them for a budget box.

Thanks,
I have an AudioFire8 and an AudioFire 12. They sound very good. Early models had some problems with unreliable firewire components - both of mine have experienced them. The 8 went in for repair and has been in daily use for 2 years since coming back without any issues. The 12 has a similar problem but I haven't gotten around to sending it in to Echo yet. With that caveat, they are good interfaces.
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #30
Major Player

Sony d1 is simply the best handheld recorder. Go to b&h to read reviews by pro engineers. Most of the replies here are from people who have never owned one. I also use schoeps>cooper cs104>mytek stereo 192ad>aes fostex fr2. Comparing apples n oranges. D1 has excellent mic pres, line in, mics, and a drawn titanium body in a handheld form factor. The schoeps setup sounds better, but costs a lot more needs special cables and cases. You can pick up a d1 used for $800 _ 1000. I love my d1.
John Hartney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio