Camera RCA out to Balanced XLR? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Camera RCA out to Balanced XLR?

Hi all, I appreciate your comments but, with all due respect I think some are making the process sound more complex than it actually is or needs to be.

Simply put, amongst other things I shoot news. With respect to news, my feeds are generally always pre recorded. Interviews for other stories. Sometimes complete stories. Main audio on channel one, camera mic on chnnel two. Channels 3 & 4 not used. All I want to do is plug the camera into the local link boxes and send the pics with two channels of audio to the networks via Sky.

Now, admittedly, I have not used the link boxes for about 12 months, but when I last did, the local link box at least did not accept embedded audio, which is a shame because that would negate the need for a solution to this problem...

Maybe all link boxes accept embedded audio now??

So, in an attempt to clarify, all I need is a way go get rca two channels of audio into the balanced xlr inputs of the link box whilst at the same time lifting the levels. Without having to use a mixer.
David Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Trustee

So at this point you are using your camcorder simply as a playback device to feed the network with pre-produced and pre-recorded material.

There are several options for consumer (-10db unbalanced) to professional (+4dB balanced) conversion. They virtually all require power in order to perform the gain boost. Some can use internal batteries, and some require mains power, typically using a "wall-wart". For your purposes there probably isn't a huge difference between them so select one based on your budget.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Trustee

Mr. Crowley is correct. Consumer level audio, -10dBv = 0.316 volts rms. Pro level +4 dBu = 1.2276 volts. So the extra volts have to come from some powered source to amplify the signal.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Richard. Yes this is a passive unit but it has L&R input gain pots on the RCA and jack inputs and will put out up to +4dB line level on the XLRs which is exactly what David was after so I am pretty sure it will do the job for him. Check out the link to the PDF.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #20
Major Player

Christopher the box you recommend has attenuator controls NOT gain controls... A vast difference between them.
The schematic drawing has NO gain stage in it.
Basic physics you can't increase levels without gain and gain needs energy like batteries or external powering.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Yes, Brian is correct.
A quick perusal of the specs indicate: "Max Output Level: +4 dBm, Connectors: 2 ea; XLR"
A 'true' +4dB ref. output would have the maximum output of at least +18dBm.. usually in the +20s.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Trustee

Yes, I stand corrected guys. Sorry if I gave you a misguided suggestion Dave.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio