Can xlr channels be swapped? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 28th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can xlr channels be swapped?

Seems like a no brainer, but this is the first xlr mic I've used, so no brains is about where I am on this :-)

Is there any reason not to switch the XLR inputs to opposite channels and then turn the mic so it faces backwards? That way left stays left but then the mic is closer to my mouth.

The cam is a Canon XA10 and the mic is a stereo Sony ECM-MS2. Thanks.
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Can xlr channels be swapped?

As a purely technical question, you are absolutely correct, the channels can be switched to preserve the "soundstage". Or, most video editing software provides a way of doing this after the fact, also, so there is more than one way to accomplish this.

As an artistic question whether that is the right microphone or a proper application, you will have to be the judge of that.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. Mic looks funny but it will work for now. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing about the balancing or phase that would be upset. Good news.
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Mirro View Post
Is there any reason not to switch the XLR inputs to opposite channels and then turn the mic so it faces backwards?
No reason at all, but like Richard said: Why not do it in post? A microphone has a defined polar pattern, so you might want to keep it oriented the 'right' way.
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes I will definitely be using that. Appreciated! For now I am just trying to get the understand the mic characteristics.

Funny thing, the mic creates a low frequency distortion with voice. Guess I noticed it when moving it closer to my mouth. Don't intend to use it for long for voice, since that is not its purpose. I found that with the current arrangement, the camcorder attenuator is needed to get the sound clean. Then I turn up the volume on playback.

Is that right?
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Nick,
Want to learn about audio? Then invest in Ty Fords or Jay Roses book. they can answer all of your questions. not that the guys and gals here can't but those books are great guides to keep handy and read all the time.
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

FYI your 'low frequency distortion' is an illustration of a characteristic of directional mics called 'the proximity effect." It is an inherent behavior of all directional mics to a greater or lesser extent. The ECM-MS2 is a mid/side stereo mic that consists of two capsules, a directional cardioid capsule for the 'mid' portion and a figure-8 capsule for the side. When the mic is close to the sound source, the mid cardioid capsule will start to exhibit this proximity effect which manifests itself as a boost in bass response. The closer it is to the source, the more pronounced will be the bass boost.
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Just ordered one of Ty's books in very good condition for 2.99. :-) Thanks for the tip.

Does the low freq distortion apply to lapel type mics? I am obtaining an Azden 3 channel field mixer in the coming weeks in order to add the extra channel. Wondering if I will have to deal with a few possible issues.

Will the 3rd channel for voice mix poorly with the vocal that the stereo Sony picks up?
Are clothing and moving around noises a problem for lapel mics?
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Mirro View Post
Does the low freq distortion apply to lapel type mics?
"low frequency distortion" isn't really defined well enough for us to understand what you are talking about. IF you are talking about "proximity effect" then most directional mics suffer from varying degrees. But proximity effect is not typically a major issue with lapel mics.

Quote:
Will the 3rd channel for voice mix poorly with the vocal that the stereo Sony picks up?
That depends on the particular situation. Without more specific details, that question is impossible to answer.

Quote:
Are clothing and moving around noises a problem for lapel mics?
Yes, They can be. But there are ways of mitigating the problem.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio