Mastering Tascam DR100MKII audio for Premiere CS6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mastering Tascam DR100MKII audio for Premiere CS6

Hello everyone!

I just filmed an artist spotlight video using D800 for video and Tascam DR100MKII plugged to Sennheiser MKH 8060, by the way this is a great little shotgun mic..

I imported the resulting DR100MKII audio wave file into Premiere CS6 to discover that it's a mono left channel track.

My question: How do you guys master this mono track to become a juicy stereo one to work in Premeire?
I have Audion CS6 but I don't know what steps to take to do this. Can anybody kindly advice?

Any help is truly appreciated!!

Thanks

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mastering Tascam DR100MKII audio for Premiere CS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renat Zarbailov View Post
Hello everyone!

I just filmed an artist spotlight video using D800 for video and Tascam DR100MKII plugged to Sennheiser MKH 8060, by the way this is a great little shotgun mic..

I imported the resulting DR100MKII audio wave file into Premiere CS6 to discover that it's a mono left channel track.

My question: How do you guys master this mono track to become a juicy stereo one to work in Premeire?
I have Audion CS6 but I don't know what steps to take to do this. Can anybody kindly advice?

Any help is truly appreciated!!

Thanks
Plugging a single mono mic into a recorder why are you suprised it's mono?
If you wanted it in stereo you should have used a stereo mic....
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Stereo is 2 channels each recorded from a slightly different perspective. That requires 2 mics ... even "stereo mics" are really an array of two capsules mounted in the same unit. You can take your single mono channel and pan it to the center in Audition so it appears equally in both the left and right channels of a stereo output track but that won't make it stereo.
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Trustee

Renat:

What is recorded on the track? Dialog? Or music, ambient, atmos, etc.?

And what do you mean by "juicy"?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Wrangler

As mentioned, you can't create stereo imaging from a single mono track. But if you want that mono track to be replicated as identical left and right channels, you can do that.

In PPro, right click the file in the Project Window and choose Modify>>Audio Channels... and replicate the mono in both left and right stereo channels. You have to do this before putting the clip into a sequence; it won't change instances of a clip that's already in a sequence.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Trustee

If you recorded a stereo track with one empty channel, you can use the "fill left" or "fill right" effect on the timeline. Fill Left will duplicate the left channel and paste it into the right channel -- and should the right channel not be empty, it will overwrite anything there....

Or, as Pete says, if you have a mono channel, modify the clip in the browser to make it stereo, change the second channel source to match the first channel, and you can drop it on the timeline....you can save the procedure as a preset and just call it up with a single click if you're going to use this frequently....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I don't know how Premiere CS6 handles mono and stereo files, but in most NLEs, a mono (single channel) file is panned dead center... (at least dialog files should be)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Wrangler

If the file actually just has one audio channel, then yes, the video clip's audio will play centered to a stereo audio output. If it is a stereo file with sound recorded to the left and a silent channel on the right, then the sound will be panned full left by default.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
As mentioned, you can't create stereo imaging from a single mono track. But if you want that mono track to be replicated as identical left and right channels, you can do that.

In PPro, right click the file in the Project Window and choose Modify>>Audio Channels... and replicate the mono in both left and right stereo channels. You have to do this before putting the clip into a sequence; it won't change instances of a clip that's already in a sequence.
Thank you everyone for the kind input. Pete, you nailed it!!

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio