Sennheiser EW100 problems / sample clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 4th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sennheiser EW100 problems / sample clip

I just went through 3 pages of google images and did not see this style. Maybe I bought it more than eight years ago? But it is a good mic until it started taking hits.

Steve
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #17
Trustee

I have access to a system that sounds identical to this one and I found the same problem. There were very short "pops" of noise that happened primarily in certain spots in the room. Unfortunately, these short blasts of energy are not acceptable going over live PA so I abandoned the system. Did your earlier post mean that there is a squelch setting and that you fixed the issue? I may have to get it out of storage and try it out again as it is the only system I have access to that has a capsule mic.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Hey Guys,

The output cable checks out just fine.

It is not a G2. It must be older than that. The original manual is archived in a storage unit. I went to the seni site for a PDF ad G2 seems to be the oldest they have archived.

This thing clearly says EW100 on it. It is an older body style than the G series. There is no big LCD screen on the front of it. Just a VERY small screen on the side of it. Super heavy metal construction. Battery slides in the side of it.

It does not scan. I have been changing mic frequencies manually before they would scan. I usually work with Shure or Sonys though.

Squelch settings are not low, med, high. They start at 0db and go up.

This is the ENG receiver kit.

Steve
Does it take a PP3 9V battery?

In which case it would be a G1.

But the G1 only had a 24MHz frequency window and the frequencies you mentioned are wider than this.

The G1 had a screw-on antenna, so it could be a loose or broken antenna causing the crackling as well as a possible external interference problem.

Make sure the antenna is screwed down properly and wiggle it a bit to check that the antenna is not broken internally. If it makes the "crack" when you move the antenna, then a replacement antenna should cue it.

Otherwise try a different frequency.

The old evolution wireless G1 manual *is* on the Sennheiser website - it's HERE (it's a 7.5MB PDF).

I hope this helps.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #19
Inner Circle

nice spelunking work John!

Have a great day,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Trustee

Takes standard 9v.

Screw on antenna checks out fine.

Marcus, see OP, squelch fixed second problem. I'm not sure if it had an effect on the first yet or not. Stay tuned.

So....in fifteen years of using Shure and Sony wireless mics (for live reinforcement & video produc) I have never heard a mic do exactly this. Now there are several other Sennheiser users jumping up here and saying "I had the same problem."

I keep thinking about how I can replicate the pops by walking out of the transmitters range. That can cause noise before the signal goes away but not usually violent hits. I am going to try that again today now that I have the squelch under control.

Steve
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #21
Major Player

Hate to ask, but you are using fresh batteries in both units, yes?
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #22
Trustee

Yes. But it is really hard to get 6 AA batterys in it for 9 volts because the hole is square!
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes. But it is really hard to get 6 AA batterys in it for 9 volts because the hole is square!
Hmmmm ... is there perhaps a battery holder that has gone missing, leading to an intermittent battery connection in the unit?
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Trustee

No the holder is not missing.......my clients just don't like wearing the battery belt from my video light I adapted to the transmitter so I have to pound six "AA"s into the little square hole!

Steve
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I recall the predecessor (prior to G2) SK 100 series transmitters used a standard 9-volt battery.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #26
Trustee

Solved!

First: You guys do know I was completely joking about "AA"s and battery belts don't you. I thought it was really funny. How else do you respond when someone asks if I am using old batterys? Yes it takes regular 9V.

John, Thank you for finding the manual and cluing me in on squelch. My squelch test today fixed it and the manual pretty much confirmed it. On this mic the squelch settings are not low, med, & high like the "G" series. The settings start at 0db and go up in .5 db increments to 40db. 0db is the factory setting and it is squelch OFF. That is where I have been running my mike all these years until it eventually became problematic. The manual states squelch controls the hissing when the transmitter is turned off, and controls how the mic responds when the transmitter is leaving its usable range. The hissing (when you turn off the transmitter) as the manual calls it is more like speaker blowing white noise if the receiver is outputting anything close to a usable level. By adjusting the squelch to just 05db the noise goes away. Not only that, I tripled my usable distance for the transmitter because the popping does not start now until I am at the real edge of the transmitters range. With no squelch applied the noise was out of control and bursting through the transmitted signal. Today I fixed it, tomorrow I will have time to sit down and really tune the whole system for maximum performance.

Thank you everyone that took a look into this issue for me!

Steve
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Hmmmm ... is there perhaps a battery holder that has gone missing, leading to an intermittent battery connection in the unit?
There is no battery holder in the G1.

The battery pushes hard against a sprung plate - The G1 has one of the best ways of using a PP3 there is.
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Solved!

First: You guys do know I was completely joking about "AA"s and battery belts don't you. I thought it was really funny. How else do you respond when someone asks if I am using old batterys? Yes it takes regular 9V.

John, Thank you for finding the manual and cluing me in on squelch. My squelch test today fixed it and the manual pretty much confirmed it. On this mic the squelch settings are not low, med, & high like the "G" series. The settings start at 0db and go up in .5 db increments to 40db. 0db is the factory setting and it is squelch OFF. That is where I have been running my mike all these years until it eventually became problematic. The manual states squelch controls the hissing when the transmitter is turned off, and controls how the mic responds when the transmitter is leaving its usable range. The hissing (when you turn off the transmitter) as the manual calls it is more like speaker blowing white noise if the receiver is outputting anything close to a usable level. By adjusting the squelch to just 05db the noise goes away. Not only that, I tripled my usable distance for the transmitter because the popping does not start now until I am at the real edge of the transmitters range. With no squelch applied the noise was out of control and bursting through the transmitted signal. Today I fixed it, tomorrow I will have time to sit down and really tune the whole system for maximum performance.

Thank you everyone that took a look into this issue for me!

Steve
If I remember correctly, Sennheiser UK used to recommend 15dB as the default squelch setting on the original "G1" series.

Low enough to effectively squelch out external noise without compromising range too much.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio