Juiced Link or Beachtek? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 5th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Juiced Link or Beachtek?

both of the companies make decent looking camera mount mixers/ preamps specifically aimed at DSLR shooters.

But there happens to be a lot of information about the Juiced Link, and not as much about BeachTeks. Generally, it looks like you get get a bit more value out of the BeachTek products (looks like more bang for you buck.), but I haven't specifically heard to much from people comparing the two.

Any once use either or both and would recommend a model?
Denez McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Juiced Link or Beachtek?

I vote for juicedLink, when I was looking, they sounded better and I have a C231. Robert has changed models etc. but I'd say they still sound as good.

Audio: Preamps, Mixers, Etc : juicedLink, Unique and Trusted Solutions for Audio and Video Production

But I also gotta say that now, the new Tascam DR-60D could be a contender, try to buy something you're not going to outgrow.

Cheers.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Trustee

I agree that new Tascam will be a very useful device for self shooters with a dslr or other two channel camera!
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Trustee

The Tascam DR-60D looks very promising. I've got the DR-680 and if it is anything close to that it would outperform anything in that $350 range. With the current prices comparing the JuicedLink and BeachTek I would actually look for a use Sound Devices MixPre. I've seen some in the $400 to $450 range and even though it is used and a bit more it will give you superior sound and room to grow. Also, You will most likely be able to sell it for almost as much as you purchased it for if you sell it in the future. The only thing about the non D MixPre is that you would have to figure out how to mount it under the camera. You could probably fashion a bracket somehow.

Just something more to think about.
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Not necessarily making a recommendation in this case since there are a number of other factors for the original poster to consider, but I have been using a Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO since last fall with several different cameras and recorders that all have mini-mic inputs. I haven't had any problems with it and the sound has been very clean. It's in the $429 price range, so it would need some careful consideration versus getting a better audio recorder that has clean preamps and selling his DR-40. Although, I have used this BeachTek with a Tascam DR-05 (about $80) and the sound was very good so you could sell the DR-40 and go down to a lower audio recorder paired with a good BeachTek or JuicedLink preamp.
I didn't have any opportunity to compare the BeachTek or JuicedLink but chose the BeachTek on features and what was available before an urgent out of state trip.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Jay, that's exactly what I'm thinking: instead of creating a Frankeinstein's monster of running a small preamp into the DR-40, perhaps I will just sell the DR-40 and buy a Marantz 661. Or maybe wait for reviews of the Tascam 60D to come out, especially since it's about half the price.

If the Tascam has good preamps, then I probably will just keep the DR-40 for it's internal mics, which I think I quite usable.
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Major Player

A few years ago I paired a JuicedLink 471 (no longer available) to the line input of my Sony PCM-D50. This gave me 4 inputs with phantom power and the sound quality was superb. The JuicedLink attached nicely to the bottom of the Sony and while a bit 'frankenstein-y" it worked very well.

The JuicedLink products may not be as sexy as Beachtek but they work very very well.

I'm not sure what the new Tascam DR-60 will do to the adapter market and I'm curious to hear some reviews of how well it sounds.
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Reed, no concern over going from the 1/8 inch to XLR? That's probably the main obstacle in going the juiced link/beachek to digital recorder rout.
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Denez

I had no issues going from the JuicedLink to the Sony via 1/8" jack. It worked quite well despite the less than robust connection.
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The Sony D50 does not have XLR inputs, neither does the Sony M10 AFAIK.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

my mistake, I assumed it had XLR in.

I'm also assuming the preamps in the Sony D50 are better then the H4N/DR-40?
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
The Sony D50 does not have XLR inputs, neither does the Sony M10 AFAIK.
There is/was an adaptor for the D50 which does have 2 XLR inputs and supplies 48 volts, but BnH NY say the adaptor is temporarily out of stock.
I think its been discontinued ..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...cm-d50-d1.html

I've still got that rig and also use the D50 on board mics, the preamps are excellent.

Cheers.
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Sponsor: Omega Broadcast

What about the new Tascam DR-60D? $350.

Product: DR-60D | TASCAM

Last edited by Allan Barnwell; April 10th, 2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo
Allan Barnwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio