Accurate sound from Senn series 100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Accurate sound from Senn series 100

Using the sennheiser 100 wireless unit with a Sony PD 170, I have trouble getting voices that sound precisely like the people speaking. I also have a base line low level constant tune/sound as well. Any special settings I should alter to get a better replication of true sound.

Paul in KY
Studio 27

Jonas Salk April 12, 1955
(upon announcing the successful vaccine for polio)

Paul
Paul Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gray
Using the sennheiser 100 wireless unit with a Sony PD 170, I have trouble getting voices that sound precisely like the people speaking. I also have a base line low level constant tune/sound as well. Any special settings I should alter to get a better replication of true sound.

Paul in KY
Studio 27
Hey Paul,

Would love to help but I can't because I don't understand what a "base line low level constant tune/sound is"? Is this some wierd bass interference? What does it sound like? What are your exact recording circumstances?

Post back with answers and I'm sure someone here will be more than willing to help.

Good Luck,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Also tell us if you're powering the camera with AC or batteries and whether this makes a difference in the audio problem you're having.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Wireless accuracy

I am using battery powered transmitter and receiver, with the PD 170 set at Mic and +48V off. There is a baseline constant low tone and voices are plain, but sound slightly different from the individuals speaking. Use of this is primarily for weddings. Thanks for the input.

Paul in KY

Jonas Salk April 12, 1955
(upon announcing the successful vaccine for polio)

Paul
Paul Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gray
I am using battery powered transmitter and receiver, with the PD 170 set at Mic and +48V off. There is a baseline constant low tone and voices are plain, but sound slightly different from the individuals speaking. Use of this is primarily for weddings. Thanks for the input.

Paul in KY
Constant low tone? Like a pedal note from an organ or a low rumble? Could you be picking up some environmental sound like HVAC equipment or actual air movement burrbling around the mic? The Senn 100 is a whole series of transmitter/receiver kits so exactly which microphones are you using? Do you have the low-cut filter engaged if available?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, I was just about to ask if you're using the lav that comes free with the kit or not. If so then I'm sure the voices don't sound all that great.

You'd be surprised what a FEAT it really is to have people sound like they do in real life... that's what justifies the cost of better mics... whether they're lavs or shotguns.

I think the best value in a lav is either the Countryman B3 or the AT899...

Sennheiser gives you a mic with the G2 kit just so you can put it to use right away... but they don't give you a hundred and fifty dollar lav with it because you might not have bought the set if it was $150 higher... even though a better lav isn't an option, it's mandatory.

Also I'd guess that baseline low level sound is room tone... which will vary from room to room... and going with a different lav will affect that too. Something else you may want to try is turning the bodypack sensitivity down and then setting levels at the receiver.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio