Izotope RX 2 vs Adobe Audition dilemma at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Izotope RX 2 vs Adobe Audition dilemma

Hi,

I am about to buy some audio repair software. I already have Adobe Audition but I can't send from Final Cut X to Audition so I have to buy $49 software to convert Final Cut X XML file to an XML that Audition can read. I know Audition is not just a repair program but has some repair plug-ins built in. I can get Izotope RX2
for 50% off (educational discount) so that's about $175. I know I can just try both and see which one does a better job but I was hoping that maybe someone has evaluated both and can tell what they think.

Thank you
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Izotope RX 2 vs Adobe Audition dilemma

Sorry for answering only half your question: I use Izotope RX 2 and, frankly, I won't be looking for anything else. Period. It is audio voodoo. I've removed slamming doors, coughs, crowd hecklers, house ventilation and vending machine noises. Every time I'm just stunned at how well it works. You could feel good about dropping coin on it, especially at the educational price!
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Steven,

Question for you. Have you ever tried fixing audio that was recorded too hot?

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Steven,

Question for you. Have you ever tried fixing audio that was recorded too hot?

Thanks
If you mean audio that is so hot as to occasionally clip then, mercifully, no, I've never had to try. This Izotope tutorial does indeed show the fixing of clipped audio to excellent effect:
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, I've seen that video. I was hoping that maybe you had a chance to try that function to confirm that it really does work this well.
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The quality of any restoration gear will be dependent on the source material. Some things I use RX2 for, others, I use the stock restoration software in Magix Sequoia software. I've used CEDAR, AudioCube and some of the other big players as well. At the end of the day, a combination of tools will ensure that you'll be able to work on anything.

RX2 is a fantastic set of tools. IMO, probably the best bang for the buck out there. Nothing really comes close. There are other tools that are better, but *way* more expensive. If you have to purchase one set, RX is a pretty darned good choice. Just don't expect it to be able to fix *everything* because nothing out there will.

--Ben
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Maas View Post
RX2 is a fantastic set of tools. IMO, probably the best bang for the buck out there. Nothing really comes close.
I agree. Frankly, I won't bother with Audition for fixing issues, just sweetening. When there are problems with the audio, I just go straight to iZotope.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Late to the party so to speak, but I think Izotope is a great tool - I managed to clean up a quartet performance where the cellist accidentally bumped the cello against a chair - nasty sound all through the range of the instrument, but Izotope worked wonderfully. No complaints from the quartet either.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio