Zoom H1 level at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Zoom H1 level

Hello, I will be recording a wedding very soon and would like your suggestions. I will be placing a zoom h1 on the groom with a lav. I just wanted to know at what level should I set it at 60?. I will place it on manual and do a test with the groom but they always speak differently in the ceremony. This is why I need to know from those of you who have set a zoom h1 with good results. Low cut will be on as well. It seems to me that at 60 or so should do the trick. I may be wrong, that is why I am asking you guys. Thanks in advance.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Zoom H1 level

Jeff I set my H1 to level 55 when on the groom & officiant, this is tried & tested. I'll usually run my audio through The Levelator from The Conversations Network afterwards to level out the audio.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #3
New Boot

It depends on what lav mic you use with it. I use the H1 with the audio technica ATR3350. I have to set the levels all the way to 100 to get good results.
Mike Lorushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been using 75 or 80 as a default but if the speaker has a loud voice - such as a priest who is used to projecting his voice - then around 60 can be more appropriate.

However I've noticed that a lot of folks are using auto-levels with the H1. I've tried it, so far so good. Counter-intuitive I know but there is always going to be quite a bit of room noise at weddings so noisy pre-amps or unpleasant noise where the H1 has pumped up the levels during quiet moments are not the issues you think they might be. On the other hand if you've set your H1 to 80 rather than to auto and the speakers volume turns out to be very high you then have irrecoverable clipping. No you audio pros, you cannot interrupt mid-ceremony to change the levels and there are good reasons why you might not use wireless.

As with so many aspects of weddings, the normal best practices applied for theatre, TV etc, need to be left at home to better cope with the specific challenges.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I set ours to auto and its been great so far as well. I haven't had any issues with them at all. We love it so much that we went all H1s from the last event we did versus wireless xtr/rcvr, and no problems.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Major Player

@ Chris,
I am gonna mic just the groom and want to get the bride as well as the pastor. So auto works? I have always been leary of it becuase I love to set levels, however with groom most likely quiet, and the other 2 not too close I guess I will try auto. How is the noise level (unwanted noise) and does the audio ever get distorted by using it on auto? Thanks again for your reply.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio