RØDE Announces SmartLav Lavalier Microphone for iOS Devices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

RØDE Announces SmartLav Lavalier Microphone for iOS Devices

The microphone connects to the headset jack of any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and at a suggested retail price of around US$60 it provides an easy to use, inexpensive solution for close-miking of talent. Combined with our recently released RØDE Rec app (www.rodemic.com/getroderec) the smartLav makes it incredibly easy to capture audio and share or publish it online with an audience, colleagues or friends.

Full press release, photo at RØDE Announces SmartLav Lavalier Microphone for iOS Devices at DV Info Net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: RØDE Announces SmartLav Lavalier Microphone for iOS Devices

Kind of surprised it took so long to get a heads up here. A quick Google shows it being discussed a few days ago, and there even some reviews about:

Rode SmartLav Review | recording hacks

It has to be a winning formula, and I am sure it will sell like hot cakes at that price. Has anyone been able to compare it directly to an iXY yet?
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I published that press release within minutes of receiving it from RØDE. The word doesn't really get out until they send out the press release.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Trustee

If the mic is half decent it may be worth buying a few to convert to radio mic and xlr use at that price!
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5
New Boot

Anyone tried to use a TRRS adapter with a different mic? I've got other lapel mics I'd love to use with this app.

I've been thinking about this for a while so maybe I'll fool around with this with my Android phone. I'm sure there's an app that can record from plugged in mic...
Ammar Ijaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Trustee

This is as much a marvelous innovation for the software as for the hardware. All the previous audio recording apps for IOS looked like silly games written by people who had no clue how audio is recorded. They had uncalibrated "level meters" and you couldn't even adjust record levels on the same "screen" as the metering! How completely ignorant. At least this one looks like it was designed for reasonably "pro" audio use.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammar Ijaz View Post
Anyone tried to use a TRRS adapter with a different mic? I've got other lapel mics I'd love to use with this app.

I've been thinking about this for a while so maybe I'll fool around with this with my Android phone. I'm sure there's an app that can record from plugged in mic...
Yes I hooked up one of my ultradisk 4016 lavs and it worked a treat, the mic only costs $15 so even cheaper than the rode! The i fone gives 2.7 volts so should power most lavs OK
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #8
New Boot

I did a quick video too, testing it's functionality while shooting video comparing it to the iPhone's onboard mics: RODE Smartlav test with iPhone 4s for audio/video quality jesse's gear

All in all I love both of the new RODE iOS mics (Smartlav, iXY) doing a video on the iXY soon to compare it to the Tascam iM2
Jesse Pepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I think that's pretty novel, but why would I want to use this as opposed to wireless lavs i already have, that I'm capable of monitoring at all times. Or my Tascam device which I can plug my wireless lavs into and monitor. I don't want to take my iphone and put on someone.
I don't see the sense in it unless you have absolutely nothing else to use.
Al
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Trustee

I wonder if any of the recent iOS updates have enabled the connection through the headphone TRRS jack because I couldn't get this to work earlier when I tried:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ck-pinout.html

Also, can't help wondering - is this new lav and also the iXY be immune from the usual RF interference generated by the phone or does one have to use the Airplane mode? And what about interference from other iPhones? Anyone tried it out?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #11
New Boot

@Al: I don't think this is designed to compete with people who have existing wireless/wired lavalier systems. This is a $60 microphone with TRRS so it works on the iOS. If you've already got better stuff, I don't think you'd need it. But if you wanted to have a quick way to improve the audio if you just bust out your phone for a quick video, it's pretty decent.

@Colin - I wish I knew. I'm currently planning to do a video testing the iXY against the Tascam iM2, and if having another phone near to check for interference would help, I can write that down.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Trustee

You need a certain impedance mic for it to work as it needs a reistive load to flip the mic from internal to ext, I seem to recall 1.6k being mentioned!
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #13
New Boot

Update: just tested out a cable by Startech.com that gives you a split from the headphone jack to TRRS mic input and headphone out: it did work with the Smartlav within the RODE recording iPhone app, but wasn't able to monitor levels while using it to shoot video.
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #14
Major Player

A real smart lav would transmit the lav signal over wifi to the sound engineer's computer for monitoring and buffered recording.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Austinite

Just did a little research. Consensus seems to be that the mic works while shooting video with the standard video recording utility on the iPhone 4 and 4S. Correct?
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio