Connect a Canon WM-V1 via XLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 27th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Connect a Canon WM-V1 via XLR

I have a Canon WM-V1 Wireless Microphone that I would like to connect to my Canon XA20 via one the XLR sockets on the handle so that I can use a Rode NTG-1 at the same time.

The WM-V1 Receiver is currently is connected to the camera with a 3.5mm 4-Pole Plug (Mini Jack). As I understand it; Canon wires up the plugs as follows:

(From Base of Plug)
• Microphone Power
• Common / Shield
• Right Mic Input
• Left Mic Input
(to Tip)

So I was wondering; since the microphone is powered by an AAA Battery if I could use a 3.5mm 3-Pole Plug instead? Would it still work correctly?

If so, that would mean that could use an of the shelf; 3.5mm 3-Pole Plug to 3-pin XLR or a 3.5mm 3-pole to 3.5mm 3-Pole Cable and a Rode VXLR converter 3.5 mm mini-jack to a 3 pin XLR.

Any help in clarifying would be greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: If can plug the WM-V1 into a XLR do I move the switch on the camera to Line | Mic | Mic 48v?
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Connect a Canon WM-V1 via XLR

Yes, it appears that this is theoretically possible.
However, I think you will need a custom made interface cable because of the unusual pinout.

When you plug it into the XLR input, set the channel for MIC, I doubt it is "LINE" level.
And NEVER set the channel for "48V" because it has a good chance of damaging the receiver and/or camcorder. AND because, as you say, the receiver already has power and doesn't need it from the camcorder.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the speedy reply Richard.

I though a standard 3-pole 3.5mm Plug is from the tip is: Left > Right > Ground? The only difference is it is omitting the power on the Canon 3.5mm 4-Pole wiring?

Trying it wouldn’t hurt would it?, as long as the Camera is set to Mic. If that does work then I’ll have to figure out the wiring and have a custom cable made as you say.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Trustee

The problem comes that while the 3.5mm is STEREO, the XLR is MONO and if you put "left" on pin 2 and "right" on pin 3, then you will end up with L minus R (because of the DIFFERENTIAL input of the XLR). If the wireless receiver is putting out the SAME signal on both "Left" and "Right", then the XLR will turn it into silence because L=R.

I am also wary of recommend plugging a standard TRS plug into that TRRS jack which will effectively ground the power. It may be safe to do this, but I wouldn't recommend it unless shown to be safe.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Major Player

I see what you mean. Perhaps something like this -->> Balanced to unbalanced Converter XLRM to 3.5mm jack plug

I am specifically looking at the MJPXMH. It’s not cheap but would this work?
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio