Tascam DR05 - New Rebate Offer! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Tascam DR05 - New Rebate Offer!

Rick,

I'm trying to understand the seeming discrepancy here. Please answer two questions for me.

1.) Are you analyzing the file "... built in mics skyfun" or the file "... Tree Frogs"?

2.) Do your screen captures represent a single instant in the file, or are they some sort of summation or average of the entire length of the file? (AFAIK, I can only represent a given instant in the file... of course it's a real-time display while the file plays, but a screen capture just takes a snapshot of one instant.)

Thanks.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:19 AM   #17
Trustee

Greg I think you were first analyzing the deep background frogs in the first recording of the model airplane, and Rick was analyzing the second recording which was specifically of the tree frogs.

In between the two recordings, the recorder was moved a large distance and totally reoriented. The frogs in the first recording were totally off-axis and very distant. In the second recording they were nearby and on-axis to the recorder. The frogs didn't move (much) but the recorder moved and changed direction considerably.

I think I would reserve full judgement on the DR-05's built-in stereo mics until it is used for something like it was intended, such as an unplugged jazz quartet at 10 feet.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Inner Circle

1.) Are you analyzing the file "... built in mics skyfun" or the file "... Tree Frogs"?
> Tree Frogs.. I have not listened to or analyzed 'skyfun'

2.) Does your screen capture represent a single instant in the file, or are they some sort of summation or average of the entire length of the file?
> A snapshot of one instant. But none of the file's audio goes to negative phase.
If your checking it in the analog domain.. after file decode, D/A conversion and electronics could give conflicting analysis.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:52 AM   #19
Trustee

OK, that explains everything.

I was listening to the sound of the tree frogs, in the "skyfun" file. And I snapped the vectorscope at the file time that I stated above.

I also stated later that the "tree frogs" file does appear to be in phase. So I was (and still am) puzzled by the seeming different phase situation between the two files.

Anyway, I did not state clearly enough that I was listening to frogs in the "skyfun" file. Mea culpa. I apologize for the confusion. So you and I both see the same thing in the "tree frogs" file.

Thanks for chiming in.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:56 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
I think I would reserve full judgement on the DR-05's built-in stereo mics until it is used for something like it was intended, such as an unplugged jazz quartet at 10 feet.
Perhaps. But I am still a bit skeptical about the RC plane fly-by in that file. If that plane was flying across roughly 180º of the sound stage, as you stated above, I don't hear nearly as much panning of the sound as I would expect.

Thanks again for posting the files and the info!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio