H6 Backup Recording Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 10th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

H6 Backup Recording Question

Is there a difference when using the L/R channels as opposed to the numbered channels? The manual says these are stereo. Is there a way to force them to record mono? I'd really like to use the backup recording feature (where it creates a second audio file at -12db). I'm using this mainly for weddings.

Would it be safe to use either the L/R for wireless mics or a connection to the soundboard? Will the audio come out okay or will I have to level the left and right channels in post?

Thanks!
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: H6 Backup Recording Question

Channels 1 - 4 are all enabled as individual (mono) channels by default, however it is possible to pair them as stereo channels (see manual p.26)
Quote:
• If you press track button 2 while pressing and holding track button 1, tracks 1/2 will become a stereo track (stereo link). Tracks 3/4 can be made into a stereo track in the same way.
Stereo links can also be deactivated in the same way. The L/ R track stereo link, however, cannot be deactivated.
However, what that doesn't tell you is that when using the optional plug-in XLR/TRS module on the L/R channels, they behave in exactly the same way, as unlike the X/Y, the M/S and the shotgun mic modules, there are separate gain controls for each channel on the XLR/TRS module. I've been using the L/R inputs to record from audio mixers so that I have the -12 dB backup available if necessary.
I have also used a TRS +4 dB line output from a mixer on the L input (20 dB pad required) while having a radio mic receiver on the R input, giving me a backup for both.

But as I said, you will need the optional XLR/TRS module for that - you can't separate the L & R channels when using the 3.5mm jack input on the X/Y mic module.

Just remember, no phantom power is available with the plug-in XLR/TRS module but that's not a problem with how you want to use the H6.
Attached Thumbnails
H6 Backup Recording Question-h6-l_r.jpg  

Last edited by Colin McDonald; March 10th, 2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: + photo
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ah great thanks! I will pick up the extra XLR module.
Old March 11th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Trustee

Glad you found that helpful.
You might like to have a look at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...xlr-input.html as well if you haven't already. Just as useful for connecting to an audio recorder like the H6.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio