Tascam DR-60-D too good to be true? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 4th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Tascam DR-60-D too good to be true?

Now that it has been in the field for a while, I'm interested to know people's opinions about the DR-60-D. I've read the previous posts, so I know some of it's shortcoming: clear stepping on the pot adjustments and awful battery life. But at $200 it still seems like a steal, too good to be true really. Does anyone have anything to add? Also, what's up with the dirt cheap price? Is a new model coming out?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Tascam DR-60-D too good to be true?

I bought one when it was bundled with plural eyes and was selling for $185 (in February).
I ending up selling it because the preamps just didn't compare to mixpre quality.
The build quality was also a downside.
It would be interesting to compare the Tascam with the new Zoom H5.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Here ya go; Ty Ford Audio and Video: ZOOM H5 - Somewhere Between H4 and H6

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Major Player

i have one that i use extensively. battery life sucks, build quality isnt the best, gain 'jumps' would be annoying but i set levels and dont mess with them or dual channel rec with offset audio levels.

one thing i love is i can use mics set up for sennheiser wireless packs via channel 3/4, just have to turn on channel power and good to go. i also use 2 xlr preamps with oldschool potentiometers so that neatly bypasses the audio 'jumps' on the digital pots of the dr60d.

the shortfalls are easily overcome. price is crazy low, and it records very good audio with the right mics, skill, and setup.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've been shooting with mine for about a year. Great value for the money. Sound quality is decent, it is ridiculous to compare a $200.00 plastic recorder to a $3,000.00 Sound Devices recorder, the Tascam sounds 80% as good for a fraction of the price. The slate tone is very useful for DSLR shooters, makes manually syncing if you don't have Pluraleyes very quick and easy. Menu structure makes sense (I came from the DR40 so it is almost the same). Easy solution for battery life, I use a Lithium Ion battery 13,000 mAH batteryhttp://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Pack-L130X-Flashlight/dp/B00BZD6QCW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-4&keywords=New+Trent+Lithium+12%2C000+mAH+battery that was cheap (under $40.00) and will power the DR60 all day. No more changing and fumbling with AA batteries. Build quality is flimsy, just baby it and don't drop it. For what it is, it is the best thing on the market. Sure, I would rather have a Sound Devices recorder but when I am shooting with a $1,700.00 GH4, a $3,500.00 Sound Devices recorder doesn't really make financial sense.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

So I ended up getting the DR-60D. I'm only just getting started with playing around with it, but my first impression is that this thing seems like an amazing piece of technology for a measly $200. I just can't get over it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Major Player

And, today and tomorrow (Sept. 1-2), it's marked down to $149 at B&H!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Doesn't that just figure.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio