Polyphonic Wav, Polyphonic Wav ISO only??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 13th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Polyphonic Wav, Polyphonic Wav ISO only???

Hi all.

I am learning about recording modes as it pertains to Sound Device products (and probably other devices). Though I have not gone crazy quite yet, I am looking at the 633 more closely than the 552 I had originally considered.

A question I had: I understand from talking with people much more knowledgable than myself about theses things that the preferred way to record is Wav Polyphonic. The SD 633 has that plus a setting to chose that does Wav Polyphonic ISO only.

From what I understand, you can record multiple tracks (up to 10 with the 633) and when they are brought into an editor like FCP X, Logic, Garageband, those individual tracks will transfer to those editors. I think you can even name the tracks in the mixer as part of the metadata.

Am I correct on this so far? If so, which flavor of Wav Poly does this? The ISO version or non-ISO version? And if the answer is both do that, then which setting is preferred?

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Polyphonic Wav, Polyphonic Wav ISO only???

Some NLEs/DAWs, (I don't have a list) won't open polys, so the 'preferred' method is.. 'it depends'.. on who and what.
When in doubt, and/or I can't get any logical answers from post or the production co., I do multiple mono files. They can easily be converted to poly files later on with Wave Agent or another utility. Same goes w/ poly to multi mono.
Whilst I don't have a 663 or 664, this applies to most multi-track location recorders
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Polyphonic Wav, Polyphonic Wav ISO only???

Thanks Rick.

This stuff gets so complicated. I'm thinking the best way to handle this is to test out files if I can get my hands on one of these.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio