Portable recorder for USB microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 14th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Portable recorder for USB microphone

Hi,

I'm looking for a portable recorder the will record a day or so of input from a USB microphone. Obviously, my MacBookPro will so this, but I'm looking for a portable recorder that will do so with USB + XLR or, slightly less preferably, USB-only. Does such a portable device exist that isn't a laptop?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Portable recorder for USB microphone

I have never seen an audio device of any kind with a USB input. Those microphones with USB interface are pretty much a one-trick pony and are usable only when plugged into a real computer with all the drivers to interface with the USB audio standard. A microphone with a conventional analog audio output is far more flexible to use in different configurations as you are seeking.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Trustee

I agree - USB mics have a limited use. Personally, I have had too many problems over the years with USB devices that required disconnection /reconnection and/or reboot to fix and would not wish to introduce that into the recording chain in the field without good reason. YMMV.

Audio recorders now can often take very large cards (128Gb on my Zoom H6) which would allow umpteen days worth of recording at 48kHz/16 bit.

A google search for USB audio recorder brings up apps and cheapo flash drive based recorders, but none I could find with USB in.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thank you for you replies, Colin and Richard. I'm evaluating audio devices that can be mounted as USB audio input devices and was hoping one of the Zoom-class portable recorders would record audio from its USB connector.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Some USB mics work with iOS devices and the camera connection kit.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio