recording railroad audio?? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:18 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: recording railroad audio??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Careful, you might not hear clipping in the phones even if it's occurring. It all depends on where in the signal chain it's happening and where the headphone signal is tapped off the chain. An overloaded input might be audible while clipping at the A/D conversion stage due to setting the recording levels too high might not be. That's why they put meters on recorders.
That's true Steve. I will set a level with the meters first, then use the headphones for monitoring . I hope to get a lot of practice in on trains down here before I head to the US! But I know that the locosin the States are a lot louder than ours..LOL

Gregg :-)
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:36 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Re: recording railroad audio??

Thanks John, most commercial shows do a average to horrible job of train (loco) audio, especially to die-hard railfans like me! The best audio I've heard so far is on dedicated train DVDs' and on you-tube from railfans out there trying new things. As I've discovered by the great reply's on this forum, I have a lot of things to learn and try, especially since I'm not in a controlled environment, but it will be a lot of fun.I got my NX3 and Zoom H5 today, so a lot of reading to do!
Thanks for the info.
Cheers Gregg

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio