Model release for voice over? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 8th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Model release for voice over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
I have done over 50,000 VO's and never signed a "model release".
But have you signed a "talent release," perhaps as a part of your employment agreement?
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #17
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, Scotland don't need money as a consideration either, nor does Northern Ireland. In Wales, who knows, because they often write things only in Welsh, and the English will sign anything!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

An interesting wrinkle (at least in the US) is that there is also the concept of a "contract of adhesion" which sounds like it would be useful for buying tires that have a good grip on the road, but actually refers to the kind of things you just sign without having any chance to negotiate - maybe like clicking "agree" to a long list of T's and C's. In such a case any unclear condition will be interpreted to the benefit of the signer.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I'm still a SAG-AFTRA member.

For us, it's implicit (and explicit) in what we are being hired to do. That info may be just in the Production Report or in a contract. We are payed for the session and the degree of exposure.

For example, you hire me to do a VO for a commercial. I get paid a nominal amount for the session. Where that commercial is run and for how many weeks determines the amount of additional payment. A VO for a Washington DC TV spot, for example, costs less than the same spot running in NYC because of the different sizes of the market.

If you tell me that the VO will be used for a training video, there's a rate for that. If you tell me it will also be used for a national TV spot, there are additional fees.

Non-union is a whole 'nother matter. In that scenario, you tell the talent what the gig is and pay them. However, more and more non-union talent are wising up and using deal memos because their work is being used for more than they originally bargained for. We had a gal here in Baltimore who was on camera talent for a bathroom remodeler. Her footage was used for 20 YEARS without additional payment.

I did a huge amount of VO work from 1986 to 2004. I still do some, but not as much. (an interesting factoid: you can retire from SAG-AFTRA, draw pension and still work.) I'm vested in the union pension plan and now get two nice checks every month; one from AFTRA, one from SAG. (the pension funds have not yet been merged). A belated "thank you" to all of the producers who hired me back then and whose payments created my pension.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Pretty well standard here for there to be no residuals at all any longer - not just for VO or lesser known talent, but the names too - the releases here state the fee, and then that is that. The production company can use it for as long as they like in any format, for any purpose. This is our national main commercial broadcaster, I understand the BBC release is similar now.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio