Model release for voice over? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 5th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Model release for voice over?

Do you need a model release for voice over work? No one will be identified by name in my audio.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Model release for voice over?

It depends on what you are going to do with the final product.
For example if it is for public exhibition (like a film festival, etc,) or for commercial release, you should have (and may be required to show) legal documents supporting your use of every element of the production. And that would include voice-over recordings by anyone other than yourself.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that info Richard. The more I think about it, I think I'll cover myself and get signitures. BTW- this is going to be a online educational video, pretty limited viewing.

Jonathan
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't forget money also has to change hands for the release to be binding. It doesn't have to be much - one dollar would be all that is needed legally - but for a contract to be binding 'consideration' must be exchanged. They're giving you their permission to use the recording of their voice in exchange for the monetary consideration you're giving to them. A google search on "voice over talent release" will turn up some template examples that should be adequate for your intended use.
Old June 6th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Steve. I think my company model release form includes wording for audio and VO. If not I'll work that in.

My budget is limited so I may pay talent with Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Jonathan
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Will work for PBR.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
Thanks Steve. I think my company model release form includes wording for audio and VO. If not I'll work that in.

My budget is limited so I may pay talent with Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Jonathan
I am not a lawyer but as I understand it, for the release to be a legally binding contract it has to be real money you pay. It doesn't have to be much, as little as 1 dollar will seal the deal, but AFAIK it does have to be an actual cash payment. Beer and pizza won't cover it. The release is a contract where in exchange for the consideration you give to him, the talent contracts not to sue you when you use his image, voice, musical performance,etc, for your own purposes and it follows the same rules as any contract - there has to be a takeaway for both sides of the deal.
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
I am not a lawyer but as I understand it, for the release to be a legally binding contract it has to be real money you pay. It doesn't have to be much, as little as 1 dollar will seal the deal, but AFAIK it does have to be an actual cash payment..
Yes, that is my understanding as well. That is why there so many $1 deals on the legal books. Beer and pizza are not legally regarded as "consideration".
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Yes, that is my understanding as well. That is why there so many $1 deals on the legal books. Beer and pizza are not legally regarded as "consideration".
St. Pauli Girl, maybe. Pabst Blue Ribbon, never!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Pay the dollar....then have THEM buy the pizza and beer.
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV. But I've negotiated dozens of contracts and my understanding based on reading a lot of stuff on contracts as well as a couple of courses on contract law for the non-professional is that a "consideration" may be monetary or not - an action or forbearance from action may constitute a consideration. (I agree not to paint my house red and you agree not to paint your house pink)

I've seen something like the following (from Wikipedia re "Consideration, Consideration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in many books on contracts and it was similarly described in the classes I took on contracts

Consideration is the concept of legal value in connection with contracts. It is anything of value promised to another when making a contract. It can take the form of money, physical objects, services, promised actions, abstinence from a future action, and much more. Consideration to create a legally enforceable contract entails a bargained for, legal detriment incurred by the promisee OR a legal benefit to the promisor.[1] Under the notion of "pre-existing duties", if either the promisor or the promisee already had a legal obligation to render such payment, it cannot be seen as consideration in the legal sense.

I think in most cases when a $1 payment is made, the usual terminology is along the lines of "...for $1 and other valuable considerations"

Another easy reading definition which says essentially the same thing

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...ideration.html
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Another US/UK difference to remember. Rights clearances here definitely don't need any form of money or consideration. The fee paragraph is optional. Leave it in if money is being paid to the artiste and remove it for a freebie. Does this mean in the US members of the public interviewed in vox pops all get a dollar?

The favourite phrase here seems to be in any territory, in perpetuity, and that's about it.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #13
Inner Circle

To summarize, the following are needed to "form" a contract in the US

1) An offer

2) An acceptance

3) A consideration

I think in some places (including Scotland,) the "consideration" isn't strictly needed.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Great info guys, thanks!
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Trustee

I have done over 50,000 VO's and never signed a "model release".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio