Trouble getting a good audio feed from DJs - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 6th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: Trouble getting a good audio feed from DJs

Always useful to have something like the ART AV direct box so you can interface and control the levels better from even speaker outputs: ART Pro Audio
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Keep in mine the DR-40 can only be mic/line switched globally, so one channel can't be mic and the other line, Furthermore, in line level mode, the record volume is only adjustable about plus/minus 10dB so some kind of external input level control is recommended. It can however take a max input of +22dBu, so the risk of over-driving the 40's input stage is minimal.
----------------------
"+4db Professional line level" (correct) 'nominally speaking'
"-10db Consumer line level" (correct)
"-20db Mic level" (incorrect). typically -50 or 60dB
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #33
Trustee

Rick,

Thanks for the correction on mic level. I don't know how I got -20 stuck in my head. As soon as I saw your correct numbers I realized my error because I did know it to be -40 to -60.

I try hard not to be a hack and put bad info on here. If I am talking numbers I often confirm them before posting. But, that -20 just came right out of me for some reason.

Steve
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Steve, I think the 'powers that be'... will let you slide.. THIS time.. but don't let it happen again.
Cheers, your sarcastic friend, Rick
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #35
Trustee

Hey Rick,

Two things:

One; when it comes to audio I would bow down to you every time. You are a voice of authority here, I don't think I would ever dispute you (but I may be secretly waiting for you to slip someday, just so I could say ha ha). You are a true soundie, I am a video guy that has to deal with audio. I hack away and try to learn from guys like you. Your in the big leagues and I never even made it to the draft.

Two; "Sarcastic friend", I have you beat big time on the sarcasm meter! You have not been slapped on the keyboard by Obstreperous Rex nearly enough to be in my league. I won't go as far as to say the NSA is monitoring my posts here, but it is quite possible Chris might be. You continue to spew intelligent information day in and day out. Not me, I fake it. I am still trying to figure out what is the male end and the female end of a cable. And what baffles me further is why we are still able to refer to cables that way. I am waiting for the day when the PC police come in and tell us all cables are transgender because they are both male and female, so therefore we will have to refer to all cables as transitional devices so that we don't offend the cables. There I go again, see I am clearly incapable of communicating with audio engineers on their dry level. So I might jump in the water once in awhile and try to help someone hook up to a board. But, in a thread near this one Richard, Paul, and Greg are discussing world wide power distribution. And it has nothing to do with politics or money. I just don't get it ;-) ;-) :-)

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; July 7th, 2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: SP
Steven Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio