Changing age of voice to older. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 14th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Changing age of voice to older.

The project I'm working on has a voice over of a twenty something white female that goes over some photos who's subject is supposed to line up with the VO.

Problem is, the person in the photos is about 60 years old and Philippine/asian. The VO did a good job, just wrong face in photos. (I didn't pick out this person or I wouldn't be writing this now.)

Any one have a good way to make a VO match more the photo. The other option is to re-record using more appropriate talent.

Just thought I'd check before resorting to that though. BTW- I am working in FCP X and I don't have really any audio plug-ins other than the stock FC ones. Attached is a photo and a very short VO part. You'll see.

Interestingly, when I did a sort of focus group, this got no notice, so maybe I'm over thinking....again.

See/hear attached files. NOTE: SOUND FILE IS F**KED. I need to upload new one.

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
Changing age of voice to older.-vignette-1-164.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov icutest.mov (230.0 KB, 119 views)
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Changing age of voice to older.

UUUGGGHHH. So frustrating. Having intermittent problems uploading WAV and MOV files. I'll try later.
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Trustee

To simplify things, why don't you just copy the file(s) to a 3TB Solid State SATA drive, and mail it to me. Send me a PM and I'll give you my shipping address. ;-)

"All submissions are final."
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Greg,

I think I finally got a working upload. Let me know your thoughts. Again, maybe this is in my head knowing the situation and no one else would have noticed. Interestingly, my client noticed too.

While I REALLY appreciate the offer, I am not going to burden you with this. It's just not worth me wasting your time. I thought if there was some sort of quick and easy way to alter this a bit that might work. Otherwise I am not opposed to re-recording. Good practice for me anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: mov 7777.mov (174.9 KB, 122 views)
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Jonathan,

Darn, I really wanted you to ship the files to me. I really wanted a new Solid State Drive!

Seriously ...

This file does have two different channels. But the only difference is the level. I strongly believe they were the exact same source. The left channel is about 4.45dB lower than the right channel. If I boost the left channel so the levels are the same, then subtract channels, I get almost perfect silence.

If these channels originated from two dissimilar mics (even if the mics were exactly the same distance from the speaker's mouth) there would be significant difference between channels, due to difference in the two mics' response curves.

If these channels originated from two perfectly identical mics (an impossibility in the real world) that were different distances from the speaker's mouth, there would be a significant difference between channels, due to the delay between the two channels.

Your file 7777 still has exactly the same source material on both channels, just at different levels.

Try again.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Greg,

The file is just a sample of the voice over that should match the black and white photo from my first post. I was just wondering if there was something I could do to make her voice sound a little more mature using FCP audio adjustments.

The audio itself I don't have a problem with, it's the intonation of her voice is all. What you are hearing is what we recorded for her part.

Now about that solid State drive. As soon as my wife gets over being really pi**ed about my Sound Devices 633 ;-{
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #7
Trustee

My only idea was to perhaps lower the pitch a bit to simulate an older subject.

However, the VO is not really all that incongruous with the photo. I agree you may be overthinking this.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for that Richard.
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Major Player

Well adjusting the pitch just a little aged my VO about 10 years which works for me!
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio