DPA Lav experience at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 1st, 2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DPA Lav experience

I am looking to update my wireless system again, and buying again Lectro SR with SMQv systems. I will go with the SR/SMQv again for the extra power. I had this system but sadly had to sell when I lost a big contract. But back in the saddle and these are my transmitter/receiver options for purchase.

Now for the Lav I have had just ok experiences with Countryman B6. After not being completely happy with B6 I went with Saken COS-11. These were great and with Vampire clip installing was easy, fuzzy fell off often and had to carry spares.

I asked the sound company I purchase from Professional Sound Services in NYC what is the best lav. Richard told me to check out the DPA lavs.

So this brings up the question: Anyone here have experience with the DPA lavs on high-end transmitters and receivers? I know the reviews are great, but the more I learn, the more I learn.

My lav work is fast on the move shooting. The SR and SMQv give me up to 1/4-mile range out on the water where I do a lot of my filming. I also film a lot in convention halls, shows, and doc work, and how to videos. And yes, when I can go wired I do but that is not often.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: DPA Lav experience

In general, DPA retains a reputation for top-tier performance across all of its microphone products. I would expect a DPA microphone to perform as close to perfection as possible with current technology. Of course you can expect to PAY for such a reputation.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:16 AM   #3
Trustee

About the best you can buy and I have also done numerous orchestral performances with them on high end instruments, we even had two of them inside a grand piano and on a Stradivarius violin.

My personal favourite is the sanken cos11 as it has a beautifully smooth sound as does the DPA.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks guys,

Gary, I agree the Saken I owned and used for two years were amazing. Never failed me. Might just go back to them, but never hurts to look around. The only thing I have been told is the DPA might not be a rugged as the Saken. Have you found that to be the case? Sometimes talent is hard on lavs.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Supports LPFM Radio

> I will go with the SR/SMQv again for the extra power.

I have six Lectro systems and need to get some newer ones. I'm leaning towards SRc receivers and LT transmitters (but am not yet sure which tx I'll get). If you can get by without 250mW output, you could get a Lectro LT or DBa transmitter...yes, the DBa is limited to 50mW but IIRC, the digital architecture allows for greater range than you'd expect (but check with Lectro....I think they'll be straight up about how the range of the DBa compares to the LT and SM series). The key advantage of the LT and DBa, as you probably know, is the wider range of frequencies they operate over (three blocks for the LT, all legal frequencies for the DBa). Don't know how the lower power will work for you though...

But for your actual question here... I use mainly Sanken COS-11 and Countryman EMW and B6 lavs. I have one DPA 4071. The DPA matches well with my Schoeps mic, but the Sanken and Countryman match better with the Sanken CS3e shotgun. I really like the open sound of the DPA but it seems a bit more fragile than the EMW and COS-11, and doesn't seem to cut through clothing as well (even with its presence boost)...but that could be a placement issue with me...or maybe I should have gotten a different model DPA.

Looks like DPA has addressed the fragility concerns of the 4071 with a heavy duty model:
d:screet? Heavy Duty 4071 Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone, Presence Boost, Lo-Sens
That's pretty cool...but I wonder if the cable will be even stiffer than the "regular" 4071's and if there will be cable noise issues.

Their newer Slim 4060 also looks pretty cool, but I haven't used it (played with it at NAB but that's far from a useful evaluation location):
d:screet? Slim 4060 Omnidirectional Microphone

The DPA lavs are pretty nice, but expensive. I'll probably buy more. Any chance you can get into a dealer and compare the various DPA lavs (as well as new versions of what you're used to)?
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Jim,

Agree the SRc is the receiver I have in my sights. The newer c over the b which I use to have sounds like a nice upgrade.. The LT has a great frequency range and if I did not need the extra power I would go that direction. But you bring up a great point. How much extra range am I really getting with SRc compared to LT?

Right now I would go Saken COS-11 if I was tight on time, but DPA interest me. I was looking at the slim 4060. Did not even think of clothing being a problem. I place them by the breast bone on the clothing with vampire clip. Small, easy to install and very little fuzzy cuts cloth noise. With B6 I had problems at the upper and lower frequencies, but this might just be me. We do have to trust what we hear in our edits.

You bring up a great point. I should take the train from RI to NYC and go to PSS and listen for myself.

Appreciate the first hand information.
Old December 6th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Discussing the fact that some of the DPA lavs might not be up to the rugged use, my contact at PSS told me to check out the heavy duty lav.

d:screet? Heavy Duty 4071 Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone, Presence Boost, Lo-Sens

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio