Lav Mic Suggestions for Interviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Lav Mic Suggestions for Interviews?

Hey all,

I have a 6 -7 year old Sennheiser wireless lapel mic system that has been awesome and treated me well through the years. Thinking about getting a second one. Any one have any suggestions? I would get the same unit again but its about $600+ right now.

Thanks for the input!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lav Mic Suggestions for Interviews?

Having the same systems / frequency block has it's advantages. The new Sennheiser AVX system uses the same mic connection but the receivers would not work with same g2/3 transmitter. TEh AVX system also has a half frame+ latency issue that some folk can't live with. Check the different manufacturers / models systems features to see what best for your work.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Does it need to be a wireless lav? You can find much cheaper wired lavs, or get away from lapel mics entirely and go for overhead boom mic.
You can get a nice-quality Sony ECM-44 wired lapel for around $150, and there is almost no chance of interference issues.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Major Player

If the Sennheiser is too expensive, it might be worth looking at the Rode RodeLink Filmmaker Kit (RØDE Microphones - RØDELink Filmmaker Kit). I use a few of these in my field audio kit, as the Sennheiser was a bit too expensive for me and I needed the ability to run three wireless lavs simultaneously.

I like that the antennas are internal on the receivers, which make them easy to stack in my audio bag. I also like that OLED screen at the top, which shows not just battery level and what channel the system is on, but on also the battery level of the transmitter. You can also mute the transmitter from the receiver. The audio quality isn't half bad either.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio