Screw on wireless transmitter recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 12th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Tourist

Screw on wireless transmitter recommendation

Happy Monday!

I am shopping for a new wireless kit and have one major requirement:

The handheld transmitter should be able to screw lock to the stick mic.

We have, and are very pleased with, the Sony UWP-D kit- BUT...the handheld transmitter has a tendency to fall off our Sennheise mic. The locking mechanism does not seem to be as robust as one would hope.

I'd like to keep the whole kit- receiver, lav transmitter and handheld transmitter around $800.

And other than a liberal amount of gaff tape, are there any tricks to make sure the Sony transmitter and mic stay together?
Kyle Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Screw on wireless transmitter recommendation

I have 3 of those kits and have found no problems on various mics... But there is a firm pushed required to lock the mic on, much more than a standard XLR connection.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

" there is a firm pushed required to lock the mic on, much more than a standard XLR connection",
- Same with the Sennheisers. Even the Lectros plug-ons I've used needed to be finessed to fully 'lock' on some mics, however they make a distinctive click when locked. Depends a lot on the mic... some lock on w/o issue, others are finicky.
The other option is a all-in-one H/H with built in transmitter.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Benjamin View Post
The handheld transmitter should be able to screw lock to the stick mic.
That's an odd requirement. All of the XLR connectors I've seen on stick mics are standard push on "click lock" connectors. I've never seen one with a screw thread. Doesn't mean they aren't out there somewhere, just that I've never seen one.

I just tested this using my Sennheiser SKP-100 transmitter and my EV RE50N/D-B mic. Shove the transmitter in until it clicks (same as when using an XLR cable), then screw the ring up to cover the XLR lever so that it can't unlock. Works for me. As always, YMMV.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Trustee

I've only run into a problem once, an AT804 hand-held omni that wouldn't latch securely on a Lectro 100 plug-on transmitter.

I think it would be easier and cheaper to find a replacement handheld mic, even if you were spending a little extra money to upgrade the handheld mic, that's what I would vote for versus changing out wireless systems.

I also have the Sony system and haven't had any problems. I mainly use a Sennheiser K6/ME64 on the Sony plug-on, but have used several other brands and models both with and without phantom power.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; December 13th, 2016 at 02:48 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Tourist

Thanks for the suggestions.

What I'm looking for is not one that screws to the mic, but rather has a locking ring that can make the connection more secure.

The lack of a lock ring is really the only deficiency of our Sony kit. I'm not sure if our problem is hamfisted talent who grip the mic in the wrong way or just a bad mating between the transmitter and the microphone itself, but I've had the unit come apart multiple times a day.

Our best option may be a hand held mic/transmitter combo.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #7
Major Player

When you plug the mic on does it have a very positive click?.....
I'm surprised if it's a talent problem as it wouldn't be an accidental incident.
Sennheiser and some Lectro mics have a locking ring but the ring is really only a way press in the latch rather than a lock.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Don't know about the Sony, Lectro uses a snap-lock system; to release, the locking ring must be rotated about 1/3 turn. The Sennheiser G series uses a screw-type locking ring, once locked, it would be difficult to almost impossible to release the mic unintentionally.. multiple 360 degree rotations... of course figity talent do all kinds of weird things.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Kyle, what sort of mic are you using.... And have you found the problem occurring with other mics?
Old December 16th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #10
Tourist

Brian- We're using a Sennheiser e385. We haven't had this problem with other mics, but one of our contractors has the same transmitter/mic combo and has the same trouble. (Which is why we thought it might be a talent issue- the same talent uses both kits)

I'm pretty sure its the stick mic that is causing the problem. I tested the connection with another mic we use for VO work in the office and it felt/sounded like more securely mated to the Sony transmitter.

So now the search begins for a microphone with the same specs and performance of the e385. I'd say 95% of the time the mic is used in a very loud motorsports environment. Any suggestions?
Old December 16th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #11
Major Player

The 835 / Sony is the same combination I use, it is an extremely tight push on to latch the clip.... Never had a problem tho.
I do find the protective case won't push up well in that setup making it hard to turn on and off.
Old December 16th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #12
Inner Circle

"So now the search begins for a microphone with the same specs and performance of the e385. Any suggestions? "
My 1st choice for a reporter's 'cardioid' interview mic would be the Sennheiser MD46. Otherwise the Shure Beta 58 has more 'balls' than the (sibilant) sounding e835. For normal on-the-street type interviews, the omni EV RE50 and the Sennheiser MD42 are popular. IMO, the MD46 would be the best single mic for both worlds.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio