External audio recorder with 2 mono signals to camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 18th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

External audio recorder with 2 mono signals to camera

I have been using the Tascam 70D with my Panasonic G7. For interviews, I sometimes use two mics, a shotgun and lavalier going in to the Tascam. I output the mics (2 mono) through a Sescom cable into the G7. Both sound great. The problem for me is that I want as much redundancy as I can get, and the sound through the Sescom into the camera is mixed, so I don't have true redundancy in my opinion. There is no option to output 2 mono signals from the Tascam.
Does anyone know of a small, camera mountable, phantom audio recorder with a headphone jack that can output two mono signals through the 3.5 Sescom into camera? Thank you for your time.
Old March 18th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: External audio recorder with 2 mono signals to camera

Can you not simply PAN each channel so that they are separate? PAN channel 1 hard left, and pan channel 2 hard right. Then you will have each microphone recorded on a separate channel. No additional hardware is required. I agree that is the way to record. So that you can select between the shotgun and the lav during post-production editing.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard. Yes, that would make sense but the info indicates this:
"CAM / LINE output is a 2 channel stereo mixdown, even if all 4 channels are recording. This cannot be adjusted".

"PAN: Pan adjust - This only affects recording when set to 2MIX mode*"

" *2MIX is a stereo mixdown of all armed channels. PAN adjustments made to tracks will affect recordings made in this mode only".

I have tried recording in every arrangement possible but still can't get separate tyracks in camera and can't separate them in Premiere. Pretty frustrating. I will keep trying but I am not encouraged.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by Kevin Balling; March 18th, 2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Kevin Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't find this info you're refering to here when I read the 70D manual. If you're only using two mics and only two inputs are armed to record, you should be able to pan them apart and record them separately via the stereo camera output.

Can you test the output from the 70D both directly and with another recording device that has a headphone output?

Are you certain your Sescom output cable or the G7 camera isn't mixing the two signals together either through a defect or a menu setting?

Is your Sescom cable just a single cable or does it also have a headphone output cable that branches off from the signal input end?

Do you have the latest firmware on the 70D?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Jay. The info was from TASCAM DR-70D FAQ.
I believe the manual has this information worded differently. My 70D has the latest firmware installed. I am still testing the recorder to try to find a way to pan the Tascam's output to the camera and will report any findings. Thanks Jay
Old March 18th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Success. Feel a bit dense but I was able to make it happen. I didn't notice that the pan settings went from "1" to "12" degrees of pan. I had no success until I used the "12" pan setting. Also, the only way that it will successfully pan to the camera is to use the "2Mix" Record setting on the Tascam.
Thank you Jay and Richard. I am happy.
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #7
Trustee

I'm glad you worked it out. I would like to get both a Pana G7 and a 70D, but it seems unlikely for the near future. Good Luck!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio