To improve the sound of the PRIME X299-DELUXE video card? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 20th, 2019, 02:55 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: To improve the sound of the PRIME X299-DELUXE video card?

I thought about Graham's comments and I suspect that I too am perfectly happy with the output quality of practically everything nowadays - the killers being hums and noise just from the interface. I dug out an old Maya card the other day - 4 outputs from an ancient recording system, and managed to find some drivers and it's running some theatre replay kit - it worked brilliantly in my studio, but ground loops/and other connection issues mean it's connected via a DI box, with floating grounds to make it silent. It's got to be fifteen years old technology and sounds no different to anything else. now we hear mics, we hear loudspeakers, but so much of the rest is tiny differences that mean little. I n' remember the last time I hated the sound of a piece of kit. I just wish I knew what the OP actually means.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:41 AM   #32
Major Player

Hi friends, I don't have any good headphone to do some tests. I'm sorry, but I'd like to ask a question, maybe asked by an inexperienced person.
Is there anyone doing video editing completely with an headphone?
Is it stupid to do this or can it be done?
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:50 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Lots of people edit on headphones.

Nobody should be doing their eq, compression, or mixes on headphones, unless their viewers will be wearing headphones.

Headphones sound different than speakers. They tend to overstate quiet parts of the mix, meaning, you’ll tend to mix music too high, and not realize when dialog can’t easily be heard.
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:55 AM   #34
Major Player

Thanks for your suggestion. Now I understand better.
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:59 AM   #35
Old Boot

If you’re only going to watch your videos and it’s only you who’s gonna watch/listen to your work then maybe. Seriously, I need to hear the power and depth of my Audio supporting and adding to my video via Monitors. There is a difference. Cans are great for analysis of the ingredients of my Audio. Making adjustments using solely Cans will get you a skewed sonic experience.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:24 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Headphones will tend to emphasize material panned to the side over material panned to center. This is due to the lack of cross bleed between left and right where the left ear hears some of the right speaker and the right ear hears some of the left speaker.

But it is good to check mixes on headphones since so many people do use them. If you have anything in the low frequency range panned to one side it can be uncomfortable to listen in headphones. The isolation between left and right is particularly unnatural at low frequencies since in real life anything below about 300Hz is heard about equally by both ears.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:53 AM   #37
Old Boot

Thanks Patrick. Excellent description of the usage and value of cans.
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:08 AM   #38
Major Player

Important replies, I thank you. But someone could do video editing with the headphone and to adjust the sounds at the end. But maybe it is a double effort. ;)
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:28 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I often to the actual video editing using headphones, but I definitely finish the audio on speakers.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #40
Major Player

Could I ask you which headphone are you using please?
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:55 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Sennheiser HD280
Old June 20th, 2019, 01:22 PM   #42
Old Boot

Ditto Sennheiser HD280. Great close backs.
Old June 20th, 2019, 01:42 PM   #43
Inner Circle

I use Sony MDR v6 which is a very popular and affordable choice.

I edit exclusively with headphones but I use my levels meter to judge volume. Just like I would use my wave form instead of my monitor to judge exposure. Everyones work is different but for me I’m listening for problems but I agree it’s good to listen to the final results on speakers.

I really like headphones because they isolate all the background noise I get at home, computer fan, ac window unit, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, you name it, there is a lot of background noise out there.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 03:31 PM   #44
Major Player

Hey, I have just bought a headphone but I think I made a wrong purchase because I bought a headphone with bluetooth. I think you need only need a cable and not a bluetooth in the video. I hope you can reply me as soon as possible so I can remove my order if it is wrong.
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:52 PM   #45
Regular Crew

There's often too much delay in Bluetooth for me to use it when syncing audio to video.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio