DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Question about a field recorder works in this case. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/537242-question-about-field-recorder-works-case.html)

Pete Cofrancesco February 10th, 2020 01:40 PM

Re: Question about a field recorder works in this case.

I love how he doesn't listen to us and plugs in some random adapter and then complains it's not running right.

Ryan Elder February 10th, 2020 08:44 PM

Oh did I not listen to you? It was said on here that I should try using a different adapter to see if the problem is still there, so isn't that what I did?

Greg Miller February 10th, 2020 09:40 PM

No, you did not listen to us. More than one person told you either to get the OEM adapter, or else to be sure you got an adapter with the same voltage and current rating as the original. And in fact you said you had a friend who owned a multimeter to help you confirm that.

Now you tell us that you simply got a random adapter ... which is likely the wrong voltage, likely the wrong current, possibly the wrong polarity. It's as if several people told you your car needs high octane gas, but you put paint thinner in the tank and wondered why the car doesn't run right. Or someone told you "drink milk three times a day" and instead you drank latex paint and wondered why you felt sick ... after all, milk and latex paint are both liquid and both white ... isn't that the same thing?

You don't need to get a new power adapter. You need to get a clue.

Ryan Elder February 10th, 2020 09:48 PM

Oh okay, but I thought that I would just try another adapter to see if it works at all. I wasn't going to make this my permanent adapter to use, I just did it as a test to see if if it would work.

Sorry about that. I can get a permanent one now, now that we see that the problem is likely the adapter. However, Fostex does not make this product anymore though. So would I have to buy a used adapter from someone who is selling there's then?

About the multi-meter... how do I know much voltage is suppose to be going through the original, since all I find on it, online is that the FR2-LE takes an AC adapter but I couldn't find any other information on the adapter.

I could buy this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/i/262674050331?c...4aAnD8EALw_wcB

Greg Miller February 10th, 2020 09:54 PM

We do NOT know for certain that the adapter is that problem. That's because you have NOT checked the recorder with the *correct* adapter. At best you have proved nothing. At worst, using the wrong adapter may have damaged something. You were warned about this previously.

CAREFULLY re-read what we've already told you in detail. CAREFULLY read my posts of Jan.18 and Jan.30. CAREFULLY read other posts from other people before and after my replies. Then CAREFULLY follow our suggestions.

Using the wrong adapter may well damage your recorder. If you really don't want to continue using that recorder (or are too lazy or too obtuse to do what we've suggested) and are ready to get a new one, then say so and quit wasting time playing with this one.

Ryan Elder February 10th, 2020 10:01 PM

Oh okay, but I thought the problem was the adapter since a new adapter seems to work, or at least it's working a lot better than the old one, which wasn't working at all it seemed.

The batteries draining more possibly?

Well I checked with the mulitmeter just now. The adapter is 10V. Since the four batteries it uses without being plugged adds up to 6V, then would a 10V adapter be enough voltage then, since it exceeds that of the battery voltage?

Greg Miller February 10th, 2020 11:10 PM

That can't be determined with 100% certainty, because we don't know what power circuitry is inside the recorder. We also don't know whether the AC adapter you're using includes a voltage regulator, what the current capacity of the AC adapter is, or how much current the recorder needs.

Ryan, it is not my intention to try to give you a broad education in electronic theory. That is not practical, especially with someone whose attention to detail is as poor as yours is. It seems your level of competence is roughly figuring out how to install the batteries facing in the right direction. (And that's not a personal criticism ... everybody has to start somewhere ... it's just an observation.) Based on this and previous questions of yours, I'd say you are technically at a very elementary level. If you want to understand batteries and power supplies (as a very first starting point for electrical theory) I suggest you find a local mentor (a science teacher, a licensed amateur radio operator, whatever). That mentor will not be hampered by the medium of email, and will be able to actually *show* you things visually. If you pay attention, and with the help of some hands-on demonstrations, you just might "get it." However, to repeat myself, fulfilling that role is not my goal here ... that is not the question you initially asked, which I and others have already answered.

In regard to this thread in this forum: what is your goal? Here's one simple question with a binary answer: Are you trying to get this machine to work with an AC adapter? If that is in fact your goal, please just answer "yes." If your goal is something different or something more complex then please answer "no." A one-word answer. It's that simple.

Ryan Elder February 10th, 2020 11:52 PM

Oh okay thanks.

My goal is to want to fix the problem, of why it won't seem to accept power from the adapter anymore without saying low battery and turning off. So far the new adapter seems to work, and that's all I know so far. So I guess my answer is yes to the first question.

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 12:34 AM

Quote:

My goal is to want to fix the problem, of why it won't seem to accept power from the adapter anymore without saying low battery
Alrighty, then ...

I have already suggested (as have others) that the first step is to try the correct AC adapter with this recorder. Do that. (Or, if it isn't worth the $20 investment, get a new recorder ... and give me the old one.) ;-)

case a: if the recorder then works correctly, you've answered the question: the original adapter is bad (and the bogus unknown adapter from a friend is not electrically correct for this recorder)

case b: if the recorder still doesn't work right with the new "correct" adapter, then either
b1: there is a problem internal to the recorder, or
b2: the new "correct" adapter isn't really correct (a possibility, since it's not coming from Fostex).

in either b1 or b2, things become more complicated ... so let's just hope the answer was (case a:)

Greg Smith February 11th, 2020 02:08 AM

I found some pictures of the recorder online by entering "Fostex FR2LE" in the Google search box.

In some of these photos, it is clear that the recorder itself is marked right above the power jack to indicate that it requires 12 volts DC and the center pin on the power input is positive.

Sheesh, that wasn't very hard, Ryan. All you have to do is LOOK at the thing and it will tell you much of what you need to know.

Paul R Johnson February 11th, 2020 02:32 AM

Ryan, sadly, doesn't;t make decisions. He has an army of friends who range from vaguely wrong to totally wrong and always give him the most ridiculous advice without ever checking he understands it. As a consequence, he pops back up here and asks us why his friends advice doesn't seem to work.

We've discovered the best advancement advice we can give is to be clear, straightforward and blunt. Suggesting, or trying to promote his learning usually fails - but we persevere.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 06:45 AM

Don Palomaki February 11th, 2020 08:42 AM

{Quote]The problem is that as you drain the electrons out of the batteries, they will develop a vacuum inside, and eventually they might implode, [/Quote]

Common AA alkaline batteries do not implode. Some might explode when over header, such as tossed into a fire. However, when over discharged or significantly over age they may corrode through the case and leak (an all to common happening when batteries are left in unused gear). And electrons are not drained out of the battery leaving a vacuum, an equal number return to the battery through the other lead. (However, ome of the chemicals in the battery change form.)

Based on the demonstrated level of your technological expertise you should take the unit to a dealer and have them order a replacement power adapter. Or maybe spring for this:

or this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-...4383.l4275.c10

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 09:24 AM

Don, that was entirely a joke! Ryan has told us about so much bad advice (while ignoring our good advice) that I really wanted to see how he would respond to that. Unfortunately he apparently overlooked it altogether and didn't comment at all.

I was hoping that all the knowledgeable readers who have been following this thread would get the joke. So far, you're the only person who has responded seriously. Frankly, I thought the concept of sucking out the electrons and creating a vacuum was pretty creative. ;-)

In fact, though, I do think it's possible that the incorrect adapter he tried might at least have drained the charge in the batteries. Hopefully not with enough current to damage the batteries, although if they were lithium it might be a possibility.

Worse is the possibility that the random adaptor might have been opposite polarity to what the recorder wants (or AC output), and depending on the recorder's circuitry that might have done something bad. For Ryan's sake I certainly hope this didn't happen.

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Smith (Post 1957156)
I found some pictures of the recorder online by entering "Fostex FR2LE" in the Google search box.

In some of these photos, it is clear that the recorder itself is marked right above the power jack to indicate that it requires 12 volts DC and the center pin on the power input is positive.

Sheesh, that wasn't very hard, Ryan. All you have to do is LOOK at the thing and it will tell you much of what you need to know.

Yes I know it says 12V on it, but here is what I don't understand. Without plugging in power, and just using batteries only, the recorder only takes four AA batteries. That's more like around 6V. So why does it say it requires 12V, when it takes only 4 batteries therefore, which is 6? This is the inconsistency I do not understand.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 11:48 AM

Brian Drysdale February 11th, 2020 12:39 PM

It could be that 12 volt power supplies are more common in the industry than 6 volt ones. If the manufacturer uses 12 v for the DC in from the AC power supply, that all you need to know, This has probably been factored into the design.

There are film cameras which use 16 volt batteries, but only use 12 volts at normal frame rates. High end video cameras can take 14,4v batteries, but run on 12v

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Smith (Post 1957156)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1957168)
This yet another example of you ignoring something because it doesn’t make sense to you. So the manufacturer clearly indicated that it required 12v from the power adapter but you ignored it.

I didn't ignore it, I new it says 12V, but since it uses only 4 AA batteries, I thought the 12V indicator was 12V max, because it only needs 6V with batteries therefore.

Don Palomaki February 11th, 2020 12:54 PM

Page 20 of the user manual clearly states
:
"<Notes>: Use only the supplied AC adaptor. Using another AC adaptor may damage the
FR-2LE due to the mismatch of the power voltage, polarity, etc.
When connect or disconnect the AC adaptor, make sure that the [POWER] switch is set to
"OFF"."

The manual indicates that the power supply is 12 volts.
Power consumption is "approximately" 3 watts.

That translates to about 0.25 amps. The power supply should be rated to provide not less than 0.25 amps (or 250 ma) at 12 volts DC and have the same plug polarity. A higher rating current is OK.
Lower current or voltage is NOT OK, higher voltage is NOT OK.

It is not unusual for A/C adapter voltage to not equal battery supply voltage. In fact the several battery types it allows fo not have the same voltage. (They range from 7.2 to 6 to 4.8 nominal volts.) It is not unusual for battery operated electronics to have voltage boosting circuits internally to enable operation from lower voltage batteries.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 01:00 PM

I’m sure the manufacturer have their reasons. It’s not hard to see the numerical patterns and relationships. Household voltage is 120v. Probably long time ago manufacturers fell into a standard of reducing voltage by a factor of 10 to 12v. For portable electronics such the one in question the manufacturer decided 8 AA batteries would make it too big and heavy so they half the voltage and batteries required.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 01:18 PM

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1957165)
I new it says 12V, but since it uses only 4 AA batteries, I thought the 12V indicator was 12V max, because it only needs 6V with batteries therefore.

Ryan, you've already conceded that you don't understand any of this electrical theory. Why, then, do you continue to make assumptions like this while ignoring our advice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1957165)
Yes I know it says 12V on it, but here is what I don't understand. Without plugging in power, and just using batteries only, the recorder only takes four AA batteries. That's more like around 6V. So why does it say it requires 12V, when it takes only 4 batteries therefore, which is 6? This is the inconsistency I do not understand.

Because that's how it is designed to work.

Do you know why your car requires gasoline instead of alcohol or paint thinner? Do you know why detergent removes oily dirt from your clothes? Do you know why there are 12 notes in an octave? Yet you continue to put gasoline in your car. You continue to use detergent, rather than motor oil or gasoline, to wash your laundry. You continue to listen to music based on the 12-tone scale without understanding the physics and theory involved.

Why, then, do you continue to make these half-baked assumptions about electricity while ignoring all the good advice you have been given? If you want to devote a lot of time to learning electronic theory, then you can get a schematic for the recorder and answer your own question. But you said your goal is getting the recorder to work with an AC adapter. We all agree how to reach that goal, right? Did you order the [supposedly] correct adapter from Amazon (or any other vendor) yet? I'm curious ... which one did you order?

Paul R Johnson February 11th, 2020 02:04 PM

One of my video cameras uses the usual V lock batteries, but hidden in the mount is a small circuit board that reduces the input voltage down to 7.2V, which is what It actually operates on. The batteries are a kind of standard, and the higher terminal voltage means it has to supply less current, and the battery last longer. It has a 13.8V DC input because again, most DC power supplies for video kit are 13.8V on a 4 Pin XLR.

Most computers operate on 12ish and 5V DC, but quite a few have input voltages from the power supply that approach 20! Battery voltages do appear to be picked almost at random nowadays.

Voltage needs to be at the level the kit wants (and was designed for) - it also needs to be able to supply current at whatever the device needs. If it needs 2 Amps, a power supply rated at 1A will either try to supply the rated voltage and fail, maybe falling to 9V - which will probably NOT charge any internal battery, or it overheats and dies!

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 02:08 PM

Oh okay, but if 12V is the required power, then why do they cut it down to have for batteries, if the required power is 12? Does the machine have voltage boosting then?

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1957170)
I didn't ignore it, I new it says 12V,

Then if you knew it says 12V, why, back in post #44, did you say:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1957170)
how do I know much voltage is suppose to be going through the original, since all I find on it, online is that the FR2-LE takes an AC adapter but I couldn't find any other information

Ryan, in my opinion, you have absolutely no credibility. You can't even help contradicting yourself. What's your goal? What's your problem?

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1957176)
Oh okay, but if 12V is the required power, then why do they cut it down to have for batteries, if the required power is 12? Does the machine have voltage boosting then?

Because it was designed that way. Find the designer and ask him.

The answer to this, and to 99% of your questions, is immaterial to making the recorder work with an AC adapter. We all agree how to reach that goal, right? Did you order the [hopefully] correct adapter from Amazon (or any other vendor) yet? I'm curious ... which one did you order?

Brian Drysdale February 11th, 2020 02:56 PM

Reading the manual, which is online, would make sense for any user of equipment. From what I can read in it, there are 3 voltage settings depending the type of battery you use, so what's the surprise about the 12v power external input? It's just another voltage.

If that's what they say in the manual, the recorder has been designed that way by the manufacturer, so just buy a recommended power supply.

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Miller (Post 1957177)
Then if you knew it says 12V, why, back in post #44, did you say:

Ryan, in my opinion, you have absolutely no credibility. You can't even help contradicting yourself. What's your goal? What's your problem?

Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about how many volts the adapter pumps out. Not how many volts the field recorder is able to take. I thought there was a difference there.

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1957181)
From what I can read in it, there are 3 voltage settings depending the type of battery you use

That's interesting, because back in post #19, Ryan said

Quote:

No the recorder does not seem to have different settings for different batteries.
Another credibility issue ...

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 03:26 PM

Well if it does I missed it, sorry my mistake. I thought the 12V refers to external power source. Where does it say it on it for batteries, since the batteries are only 6V?

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 03:43 PM

It's right there in the manual in black and white.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 03:45 PM

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 03:45 PM

Okay here is what it says on the manual on the page:

Dimensions : 57 (H) x 206 (W) x 132 (D) mm

Weight : Approximately 800g (excluding batteries)

Power supply : DC12V
: AC adaptor (supplied)

: four size AA (alkaline, Ni-Cd, Ni-MH) batteries
(not supplied)
: Tamiya battery(not supplied)

Notice how in the batteries, it does not say that the power supply it takes from the batteries. This is the discrepancy, I do not understand, cause why does it need a 12V power supply when the batteries are only 6? The manual does not comment on this. There is a hole in the story here. The hole being why do I need 12V, when it's only using 6 it seems? That's the hole. It says 12V on it, but does not explain the hole, when it's only using 6.

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1957187)
This thread is insane.

No argument there.

I'm going to make a motion that Ryan buys the (hopefully) correct adapter that we've found online, and try it, and report back to us; and that he has no further questions until he has done that. Anybody second the motion?

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 03:57 PM

Well I can buy the correct adapter, I would just like an explanation as to why a 12V adapter is correct when the recorder is only using 6. It was said before that maybe the recorder is boosting the power, but if it's doing than, than again why do I need 12V? It just seems fishy to me. I could get the 12V, adapter, but now I am just really wanting to solve the mystery, that's all.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 04:07 PM

Paul R Johnson February 11th, 2020 04:08 PM

Ryan - get a grip. This is so common as to be meaningless. They provide 48V for microphones, they can work on 1.5V cells, or 12V - which of course is available in every vehicle, or plenty of common power supplies. What on earth makes you thing designers need to make a product function on one single power rail?

Remember that many phantom powered mics can actually operate on a huge range of voltages - but the box says 48V, when 9-52V is pretty common.

You're taking a page from the manual and trying to find some kind of link that makes sense to you. what's the point?

Two of my portable recorders have 6 1.5V cells in the battery compartment - it too has a 12V power supply socket.

Forget this, it's not something you can understand with your non-electronic background. Accept it as something that is perfectly normal and move on.

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 04:08 PM

Oh okay. So basically as said before, if I don't use a 12 V adapter, than the batteries will slowly die out cause they are using power as well, is that right?

Brian Drysdale February 11th, 2020 04:22 PM

If you're not using the 12v external power supply and you're using the internal batteries to power the recroder, they will drain. Same happens if you leave it lying around not using the batteries, they will have a limited shelf live and will drain. Also, if you leave them inside, just using the external power supply, the battery shelf life will apply.

Paul R Johnson February 11th, 2020 04:39 PM

Batteries do not 'use' power, they provide it! In some designs, when you plug in the power supply, the battery circuit is disconnected - then, as Brian says, the batteries are effectively sitting on the shelf - no drain on them at all. In some other designs, the batteries are still connected, just waiting for the power supply to be disconnected - in this case, the will gradually discharge and become useless. Without a test meter, you won't know which is which. TBH - it doesn't matter.