Question about a field recorder works in this case. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 16th, 2020, 01:22 AM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

Question about a field recorder works in this case.

My field recorder has started having problems with the power lately. I use the FR2-LE So I use batteries, but if I have the option of plugging it in a I will, to save on battery power.

However, lately, when I try plugging it in, the field recorder will say "low battery", and then shot off after a bit. This has happened the past three times, I tried plugging it in.

But then when I unplug it and let it run on the batteries, the batteries are full. So it can't be low battery if they are full of course. But then as soon as I plug it back in, it says low battery, and then shuts off right away later.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 02:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Question about a field recorder works in this case.

Batteries have a certain life of recharges, where after a number of cycles or due to other aspects in their use in their working life they won't hold their charge, The solution is to either buy new batteries or (depending on the type of battery) send them off to be recelled.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 02:28 AM   #3
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but it's not the batteries that are the problem cause they are full. The problem is, is that when I plug in the machine to a power outlet, the machine does not realize that it is being plugged in. The machine reads it 'low battery', when it does not realize it is plugged into a power source.
Old January 16th, 2020, 02:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What happens if you remove the batteries and plug it into the mains?
Old January 16th, 2020, 02:46 AM   #5
also known as Ryan Wray

Nothing. So it the power cord to the plug in must be powered through the batteries. The only thing is, all the new batteries I try are new, but for some reason the machine forgets they have a full charge, when you plug in the plug in.
Old January 16th, 2020, 02:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It could be a fault with the power supply in the recorder or the mains cable. Assuming the latter is OK, you may have to send the recorder to an agent for repair.

Check the mains in cable with a meter to see what it's supplying to the recorder,
Old January 16th, 2020, 03:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The Fostex FR2-LE uses an external AC power supply that plugs into the 12VDC jack on the side, correct? It sounds to me like that power supply box may have gone bad. Someone with a multimeter could check its output in a few seconds and let you know. If that's the case, there are lots of replacement AC power bricks available through Amazon and elsewhere. Make sure it's the same voltage (12V I believe) with a current rating at least as high as the original (this will be printed on the power adapter somewhere) and uses the same kind of connector wired like the original (looks to me like a 5.5mm coaxial plug with the center positive, but that's just based on looking at some pictures of the unit; check to make sure). There should be many to choose from for not more than $30 or so (maybe quite a bit less).
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 06:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Does it operate normally on batteries, and only have issues on mains power, or is mains power ok and batteries the issue, or both - it's a bit unclear?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Does it operate normally on batteries, and only have issues on mains power, or is mains power ok and batteries the issue, or both - it's a bit unclear?
He is using the power supply while the batteries are in. Since the power supply isn’t working or not supplying enough voltage the low power warning is displayed and it’s using the batteries instead. He’s under the mistaken notion that the external power flows through the batteries and by removing them he’s breaking the circuit. Which isn’t the case. Probably just needs a new power supply ($20 Amazon).

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 16th, 2020 at 08:48 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 09:44 AM   #10
Inner Circle

"Probably just needs a new power supply"
Yes, that would be the first step for diagnosing this issue. Make sure replacement PS has the same plug size, voltage and a minimum of the same amperage as the OEM PS, More amperage is ok, less is not.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 08:56 PM   #11
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
He is using the power supply while the batteries are in. Since the power supply isn’t working or not supplying enough voltage the low power warning is displayed and it’s using the batteries instead. He’s under the mistaken notion that the external power flows through the batteries and by removing them he’s breaking the circuit. Which isn’t the case. Probably just needs a new power supply ($20 Amazon).
Oh okay, well if the circuit is not being broken then, then why does it need batteries at all then, if I am using a plug in power source?
Old January 16th, 2020, 08:57 PM   #12
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
The battery operation works fine, just when you plug in a cord power source, it has problems.
Old January 16th, 2020, 10:41 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Why do you always make everything more difficult than it needs to be? You have a habit of asking for advice and then not wanting to take it. Any deeper conjecture on the why will only lead to more questions and confusion. Sometimes it’s not important to know the why. Just listen to what everyone is saying and buy a new power supply.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 17th, 2020 at 09:59 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 02:23 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Odds are it's something to do with your external power supply/cable, anything involving external cables tends to be less reliable than than the internal circuits of a device, Since these things usually can't be repaired, the best thing is to buy a new one.

You don't want it to be something wrong with the recorder itself, because buying a new one of these external devices is the cheapest solution to this issue.
Old January 17th, 2020, 09:17 AM   #15
Wrangler

If connecting the external power supply (while it is not connected to the mains) causes the recorder to stop, it likely means the change from battery to mains power is a physical connections that is changed by the act of connecting the power supply, not by its output voltage. (A bit line a normal audio patch panel.)

The "low battery" message is probably due to it being the only low voltage message the machine knows how to give. A bad/weak external power supply is an unusual situation likely and not provided for in the error messages.

Checking the power supply output voltage should be done under load similar to the recorders load to get a n accurate reading. If the supply is just week (e.g., high output impedance) the no-load voltage may appear normal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio