Question about a field recorder works in this case. - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 15th, 2020, 01:40 PM   #136
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Question about a field recorder works in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
We've already told you that a so-called "12V" battery often does exceed 12 volts. What part of that did you not understand?
I understand but the exact reading on the battery is 12.2. Is that bad? I am just trying to get creative to have more battery power.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 01:41 PM   #137
Trustee

He might just be a precocious 10-year-old who read a book about film-making. He's intrigued and wants to talk about it, but is too immature to follow a logical thought process.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 01:44 PM   #138
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
I understand but the exact reading on the battery is 12.2. Is that bad? I am just trying to get creative to have more battery power.
How recently was that battery charged? What is the chemistry? Every battery in the world has some range of voltage, depending on chemistry and charge level.

We have already said that batteries that are called "12 volt" can go as high as 14 volts or more when fully charged. That includes your "12 volt" battery. Did you understand and believe that statement?

Or do you think we don't know what we're talking about, or that we're intentionally lying to you?
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:05 PM   #139
Slash Rules!

Gents, in addition to the IMDB stuff and “four in a blanket” sitcom in which hes credited, you can also search “timewine movie” and find a thread from THREE YEARS AGO on a screenwriting forum where he posts the script and asks questions. His forum writing style is immediately recognizable as “our ryan”. If its a prank then it’s a prank that’s been going on for years across multiple (appropriate) forums and has an evolving narrative arc. That would be a “worthy-of-an-episode-of-a-police-procedural” -level prank.

Have I mentioned I have too much time on my hands?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:09 PM   #140
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
His forum writing style is immediately recognizable as “our ryan”.
You mean bad spelling and every paragraph begins with "Oh, okay"?
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:10 PM   #141
Slash Rules!

I mean (sigh), yeah. In addition to the other little giveaways.
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:19 PM   #142
Trustee

Even if that's true, how do we know he isn't being deliberately obtuse just to annoy people?
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:25 PM   #143
Slash Rules!

So let me get this straight...three years ago he posts a script, then actually makes the movie, receiving much criticism throughout the process, consistently having the same personality, writing style, etc. the whole time, for the sake of annoying others online?

OR

He's who he is and says he is.

Which is more likely?
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:28 PM   #144
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
How recently was that battery charged? What is the chemistry? Every battery in the world has some range of voltage, depending on chemistry and charge level.

We have already said that batteries that are called "12 volt" can go as high as 14 volts or more when fully charged. That includes your "12 volt" battery. Did you understand and believe that statement?

Or do you think we don't know what we're talking about, or that we're intentionally lying to you?
It was charged about an hour before I measured it and it came out to 12.2. Well it's just I keep feeling I should think outside the box to improve my filmmaking and I was told do that as well. But every time I attempt it, I get responses, saying that's not good and don't try to bend the rules.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:30 PM   #145
Inner Circle

Josh the point is he isn’t mentally right and because of this it’s impossible to have productive conversations. This is just my assessment. It’s a moot point whether he is real.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 02:35 PM   #146
Slash Rules!

There are two different, related conversations here (well way more, but related to dealing with him specifically).

Some are suggesting he's a troll.

Some suggesting he's "impossible to deal with."

I don't believe the first point, and as to the second, well, I'd say just tap out, then, if it bothers you that much. Don't respond, ignore, etc. I don't think there's anyone on here to whom I've done it, but on other forums I've just put people on the ignore list. See a thread where they're the OP? Don't read it. And you won't see their responses in other threads.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:24 PM   #147
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
It was charged about an hour before I measured it and it came out to 12.2. Well it's just I keep feeling I should think outside the box to improve my filmmaking and I was told do that as well. But every time I attempt it, I get responses, saying that's not good and don't try to bend the rules.
Ryan, as far as the "non-battery" part of your comments ... that's getting rather philosophical and becomes a discussion about definitions and degree. "Which box," "how far outside the box," etc. I'm going to skip that part of the comments for now because IMHO that could further muddy the waters.

As far as facts about batteries ... there are a huge number of variables. For example, what is the battery chemistry (SLA, NiMH, etc.); what is the amp-hour capacity of the battery; what is the voltage and current output of the charger; what was the state of the battery's charge before you started charging it; how long was the battery connected to the charger, etc. How old is the battery; how much charge can it hold at this point in its lifetime? Those all enter into the question of "what is this battery's highest possible voltage output?"

Without knowing all (or at least many) of those answers, we can't accurately predict an answer to "highest possible voltage output." What I do know from many years' experience is the following: many types of "12 volt" batteries (including lead-acid, NiMH, NiCd) can often supply an output voltage that's significantly higher than 12 volts. Maybe if your battery is connected to an *appropriate* charger (because not all chargers are the same) for an adequate length of time, you would find that your battery also produces much more than 12 volts. (Unless your battery is old and near the end of its useful life and can no longer hold a full charge.)

Here's a good experiment for you, since you seem not to believe what we've told you. (I did this in 5th grade science class, but maybe your education wasn't so good.)
(1.) Go out right now with your meter, open the hood of your vehicle, measure the battery voltage, write it down (and whenever you log the voltage, also note the time).
(2.) Start the engine, let it idle for two or three minutes, CAREFULLY (be VERY careful of moving parts in the engine) measure the battery voltage, write it down.
(3.) Turn off the engine, wait five minutes, measure the voltage, write it down.
(4.) Turn on the headlights, wait 30 minutes, measure the voltage, write it down. Leave the lights on.
(5.) Repeat #4, writing down the voltage. Keep repeating until the voltage reaches about 10 volts.
(6.) Turn off the headlights. Start the engine again, let it idle for a few minutes, measure the battery voltage, write it down.
** You will see that your vehicle's "12 volt" battery has a wide range of output voltages. This is true of *every* battery (different batteries will have different voltage ranges, that's all).

What we told you before is that (1.) it is likely your new battery can, under some circumstances, have an output as high as 14 volts or more, and (2.) a voltage that high might possibly damage your recorder. That is simple logic, based on years of experience.

The fact that your new battery, at some given point in time, with some given amount of charge, measures 12.2 volts, does not negate the logic of that statement.

If you choose not to believe our knowledge and experience, or if you are unable to follow the logic, then feel free to hook it up and take your chances. We are trying to help you. You seem to be trying to find reasons to contradict our suggestions. It is honestly frustrating that you keep asking for help, and then disregarding it. If you don't want to take our advice, then don't ask for it.

Two questions come to mind.

(1.) (a philosophical question): Why do you keep doing this? Do you realize how frustrating it is for us to try to communicate with you?

(2.) (a practical question): What are the markings on your battery: make, model number, voltage, capacity in amp-hours, etc. With that information we can perhaps provide a more scientific answer.

Or, if you don't want to be scientific and aren't really interested in facts, then go hook up whatever you want, and be prepared for whatever consequences may arise.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:32 PM   #148
Trustee

Josh:

I appreciate your insight.

For whatever reason, he is obviously very difficult to deal with. I am puzzled that he ignores discussions about this, rather than commenting, explaining, whatever. For example, I stated outright that I suspect the "some people" who keep giving him bad advice don't really exist, but rather are just in his imagination; that drew absolutely no response ... no denial, no explanation, nada, zip. That lack of explanation for, or even acknowledgement of, the frustration he causes simply makes me doubt that this is all innocent on his part but rather to suspect that he's jerking us around.

As far as his alleged film making projects, I find it hard to believe that he can work with any group of people, on any project, without getting the same sort of reaction that he's provoking here.

Over the years I've taught a number of technical classes, and I've trained a fair number of employees. I think sharing knowledge is a good thing to do. Part of me feels that Ryan deserves to have his questions answered. But trying to deal with him logically is incredibly frustrating. It's hard for me to believe that any adult can be so obtuse.

Your suggestion about putting him on the ignore list may come to that. However much he may deserve answers to his questions, I (and, I suspect, many others here) deserve our sanity. I draw the line at letting Ryan infect me with his insanity. He is very close to being ignored ... if it comes to that, it'll be his loss, not mine.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:44 PM   #149
Slash Rules!

Understandable. No idea why the more confrontational stuff goes unanswered but if he's anything like me perhaps he's extremely conflict/confrontation averse and will straight up not respond or leave a situation rather than get defensive (doesn't mean he is/I am RIGHT to do that but it's how I (maybe he) handle(s) a lot of situations).

And I know *I'm* not a troll. Or at least I don't think so. Maybe I have disassociative Identity Disorder. Who can say what I'm REALLY up to when I think I'm sleeping?
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:47 PM   #150
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
And I know *I'm* not a troll. Or at least I don't think so. Maybe I have disassociative Identity Disorder. Who can say what I'm REALLY up to when I think I'm sleeping?
Maybe Ryan is really your alter ego. ;-) Although I certainly hope not for your sake.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio