Question about a field recorder works in this case. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 11th, 2020, 01:18 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Question about a field recorder works in this case.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 11th, 2020 at 07:35 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 01:43 PM   #62
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
I new it says 12V, but since it uses only 4 AA batteries, I thought the 12V indicator was 12V max, because it only needs 6V with batteries therefore.
Ryan, you've already conceded that you don't understand any of this electrical theory. Why, then, do you continue to make assumptions like this while ignoring our advice?

Quote:
Yes I know it says 12V on it, but here is what I don't understand. Without plugging in power, and just using batteries only, the recorder only takes four AA batteries. That's more like around 6V. So why does it say it requires 12V, when it takes only 4 batteries therefore, which is 6? This is the inconsistency I do not understand.
Because that's how it is designed to work.

Do you know why your car requires gasoline instead of alcohol or paint thinner? Do you know why detergent removes oily dirt from your clothes? Do you know why there are 12 notes in an octave? Yet you continue to put gasoline in your car. You continue to use detergent, rather than motor oil or gasoline, to wash your laundry. You continue to listen to music based on the 12-tone scale without understanding the physics and theory involved.

Why, then, do you continue to make these half-baked assumptions about electricity while ignoring all the good advice you have been given? If you want to devote a lot of time to learning electronic theory, then you can get a schematic for the recorder and answer your own question. But you said your goal is getting the recorder to work with an AC adapter. We all agree how to reach that goal, right? Did you order the [supposedly] correct adapter from Amazon (or any other vendor) yet? I'm curious ... which one did you order?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:04 PM   #63
Inner Circle

One of my video cameras uses the usual V lock batteries, but hidden in the mount is a small circuit board that reduces the input voltage down to 7.2V, which is what It actually operates on. The batteries are a kind of standard, and the higher terminal voltage means it has to supply less current, and the battery last longer. It has a 13.8V DC input because again, most DC power supplies for video kit are 13.8V on a 4 Pin XLR.

Most computers operate on 12ish and 5V DC, but quite a few have input voltages from the power supply that approach 20! Battery voltages do appear to be picked almost at random nowadays.

Voltage needs to be at the level the kit wants (and was designed for) - it also needs to be able to supply current at whatever the device needs. If it needs 2 Amps, a power supply rated at 1A will either try to supply the rated voltage and fail, maybe falling to 9V - which will probably NOT charge any internal battery, or it overheats and dies!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:08 PM   #64
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but if 12V is the required power, then why do they cut it down to have for batteries, if the required power is 12? Does the machine have voltage boosting then?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:08 PM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
I didn't ignore it, I new it says 12V,
Then if you knew it says 12V, why, back in post #44, did you say:
Quote:
how do I know much voltage is suppose to be going through the original, since all I find on it, online is that the FR2-LE takes an AC adapter but I couldn't find any other information
Ryan, in my opinion, you have absolutely no credibility. You can't even help contradicting yourself. What's your goal? What's your problem?
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:11 PM   #66
Trustee

Quote:
Oh okay, but if 12V is the required power, then why do they cut it down to have for batteries, if the required power is 12? Does the machine have voltage boosting then?
Because it was designed that way. Find the designer and ask him.

The answer to this, and to 99% of your questions, is immaterial to making the recorder work with an AC adapter. We all agree how to reach that goal, right? Did you order the [hopefully] correct adapter from Amazon (or any other vendor) yet? I'm curious ... which one did you order?
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:56 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Reading the manual, which is online, would make sense for any user of equipment. From what I can read in it, there are 3 voltage settings depending the type of battery you use, so what's the surprise about the 12v power external input? It's just another voltage.

If that's what they say in the manual, the recorder has been designed that way by the manufacturer, so just buy a recommended power supply.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:08 PM   #68
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Then if you knew it says 12V, why, back in post #44, did you say:

Ryan, in my opinion, you have absolutely no credibility. You can't even help contradicting yourself. What's your goal? What's your problem?
Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about how many volts the adapter pumps out. Not how many volts the field recorder is able to take. I thought there was a difference there.
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:16 PM   #69
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
From what I can read in it, there are 3 voltage settings depending the type of battery you use
That's interesting, because back in post #19, Ryan said

Quote:
No the recorder does not seem to have different settings for different batteries.
Another credibility issue ...
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:26 PM   #70
also known as Ryan Wray

Well if it does I missed it, sorry my mistake. I thought the 12V refers to external power source. Where does it say it on it for batteries, since the batteries are only 6V?
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:43 PM   #71
Trustee

It's right there in the manual in black and white.
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:45 PM   #72
Inner Circle

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 11th, 2020 at 07:34 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:45 PM   #73
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay here is what it says on the manual on the page:

Dimensions : 57 (H) x 206 (W) x 132 (D) mm

Weight : Approximately 800g (excluding batteries)

Power supply : DC12V
: AC adaptor (supplied)

: four size AA (alkaline, Ni-Cd, Ni-MH) batteries
(not supplied)
: Tamiya battery(not supplied)

Notice how in the batteries, it does not say that the power supply it takes from the batteries. This is the discrepancy, I do not understand, cause why does it need a 12V power supply when the batteries are only 6? The manual does not comment on this. There is a hole in the story here. The hole being why do I need 12V, when it's only using 6 it seems? That's the hole. It says 12V on it, but does not explain the hole, when it's only using 6.
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:55 PM   #74
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
This thread is insane.
No argument there.

I'm going to make a motion that Ryan buys the (hopefully) correct adapter that we've found online, and try it, and report back to us; and that he has no further questions until he has done that. Anybody second the motion?
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:57 PM   #75
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I can buy the correct adapter, I would just like an explanation as to why a 12V adapter is correct when the recorder is only using 6. It was said before that maybe the recorder is boosting the power, but if it's doing than, than again why do I need 12V? It just seems fishy to me. I could get the 12V, adapter, but now I am just really wanting to solve the mystery, that's all.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio