Question about a field recorder works in this case. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 8th, 2020, 04:57 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Question about a field recorder works in this case.

The gold standard is Sound Devices. I've own and use the 302 on a daily basis for over a decade, the pre amps, the limiters, the build quality... not one problem.

I've thought of getting the MixPre which has the built in recorder. Anyways for any professional set you would need timegen. But this is the gear you get when your job depends on delivering results without fail.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2020, 09:51 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I just recently gave away my old Tascam HD-P2 recorder - vintage 2007 and very similar in overall size, features and performance to your Fostex. I replaced it with a Sound Devices MixPre-6 because I wanted the mixing features, USB interface, small size, rugged construction and excellent preamps in that package. But it was NOT because of recording quality or convenience of use per se. The old Tascam sounded fine and produced recordings that well exceeded the quality demands of the environments (mainly online and in classrooms) where my videos are usually shown.

My theory for prioritizing equipment purchases is generally to identify the weakest link in my system and try to upgrade one thing at a time as money permits or the special needs of an upcoming project dictate. From what I've seen of your work, the audio recorder is NOT holding you back the most - I would address your camera, lenses, tripod, lights and field recording microphones first (or spend money on some classes to improve your skills with what you already have).

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2020, 01:34 AM   #33
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, I just thought if a recorder like the F8 has a fader that has more room to be turned up higher, in comparison, perhaps it could capture more quiet noises at a higher level then, if that's true?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2020, 01:40 AM   #34
Inner Circle

We've answered this Ryan. Noise issues are operator induced by incorrect gain staging - of course you could buy a new one with 100mm faders rather than 60mm ones, this would give you 40mm of extra gain, if it's important to you. Or you could buy the ones Spinal Tap used, with faders that go to 11?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2020, 10:31 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Some preamps inherently have more available gain than others . A devices specifications usually state this input gain factor. I've encountered preamps with a max +50dB of gain and others with close to 80dB. +50 is usually adequate for moderate SPL levels (live music and such) but more is needed for low talker dialog. .Upstream, the microphone's sensitivity is a major factor on how much gain is needed as well.
All said, anything that goes to 11 has got to be better
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2020, 07:54 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Well I tried a new adapter. Instead of the battery indicator going empty, like the old adapter, the battery indicator is now half full. But that's strange cause of the adapter is not plugged in and it's running off just the batteries, the batteries are full according to the indicator. But when I plug in the new adapter, now the power is half full. Any reason why that could be? But still half full is better than empty and therefore no power, with the adapter plugged in.
Is the "new adapter" factory original? Or did you just get some random adapter?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 05:26 AM   #37
Wrangler

What are the specification on the adapters, both the OEM and the replacement.
The specs should be on the adapter body and include:

Input Voltage
Output voltage
Output current
Old February 10th, 2020, 12:21 PM   #38
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Some preamps inherently have more available gain than others . A devices specifications usually state this input gain factor. I've encountered preamps with a max +50dB of gain and others with close to 80dB. +50 is usually adequate for moderate SPL levels (live music and such) but more is needed for low talker dialog. .Upstream, the microphone's sensitivity is a major factor on how much gain is needed as well.
All said, anything that goes to 11 has got to be better
Yes, there are times if dialogue is low that I feel mine could be turned up higher sometimes. Some people just have low voices it seems during certain moments. But also if I want to record quiet sounds. For example there is a scene in a project I did where an actor breaks into a character's house and has to be really quiet, so the owner character cannot hear him, and it took place in a house with mostly carpet. I recorded the footsteps myself later, and then put them in, but people said they couldn't even hear the actor walk sneakily around. So either I am really quiet in my footsteps when trying to mimic the actor's movements, or their is not enough gain on the FR2-LE to record footsteps that are trying to be quiet on carpet while walking sneakily maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
We've answered this Ryan. Noise issues are operator induced by incorrect gain staging - of course you could buy a new one with 100mm faders rather than 60mm ones, this would give you 40mm of extra gain, if it's important to you. Or you could buy the ones Spinal Tap used, with faders that go to 11?
Oh okay, but I don't think the gain staging is incorrect when trying to record quiet footsteps on carpet is it, since in order to pick those up, I have to go really high, at least on the FR2-LE, where as I noticed on the Zoom F8, the dials seem to have more gain in comparison it seemed. However, on the F8, it seems that that there is only one gain knob her channel, and on fader. Is this why they are higher, cause the gain and fader seem to be in the same knob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Is the "new adapter" factory original? Or did you just get some random adapter?
It's a random adapter that was used for something else entirely, that a friend didn't need anymore, that happened to be able to have the same plug in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
What are the specification on the adapters, both the OEM and the replacement.
The specs should be on the adapter body and include:

Input Voltage
Output voltage
Output current
Since I got it from a friend, I am not sure what the specs are on the new one. I cannot find the specs on the original so far, it just says it's an AC adapter so far.
Old February 10th, 2020, 12:32 PM   #39
Inner Circle

How loud are your footsteps on carpet? Mine are silent?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 01:35 PM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
It's a random adapter that was used for something else entirely, that a friend didn't need anymore, that happened to be able to have the same plug in.
Oh, OK. What's happening is that the adapter is wrong for that recorder. It is actually draining the charge out of the batteries, and if you leave it connected they will become lower and lower. The problem is that as you drain the electrons out of the batteries, they will develop a vacuum inside, and eventually they might implode, which could be messy to say the least.
Old February 10th, 2020, 01:40 PM   #41
Inner Circle

I love how he doesn't listen to us and plugs in some random adapter and then complains it's not running right.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 08:44 PM   #42
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh did I not listen to you? It was said on here that I should try using a different adapter to see if the problem is still there, so isn't that what I did?
Old February 10th, 2020, 09:40 PM   #43
Trustee

No, you did not listen to us. More than one person told you either to get the OEM adapter, or else to be sure you got an adapter with the same voltage and current rating as the original. And in fact you said you had a friend who owned a multimeter to help you confirm that.

Now you tell us that you simply got a random adapter ... which is likely the wrong voltage, likely the wrong current, possibly the wrong polarity. It's as if several people told you your car needs high octane gas, but you put paint thinner in the tank and wondered why the car doesn't run right. Or someone told you "drink milk three times a day" and instead you drank latex paint and wondered why you felt sick ... after all, milk and latex paint are both liquid and both white ... isn't that the same thing?

You don't need to get a new power adapter. You need to get a clue.
Old February 10th, 2020, 09:48 PM   #44
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but I thought that I would just try another adapter to see if it works at all. I wasn't going to make this my permanent adapter to use, I just did it as a test to see if if it would work.

Sorry about that. I can get a permanent one now, now that we see that the problem is likely the adapter. However, Fostex does not make this product anymore though. So would I have to buy a used adapter from someone who is selling there's then?

About the multi-meter... how do I know much voltage is suppose to be going through the original, since all I find on it, online is that the FR2-LE takes an AC adapter but I couldn't find any other information on the adapter.

I could buy this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/i/262674050331?c...4aAnD8EALw_wcB
Old February 10th, 2020, 09:54 PM   #45
Trustee

We do NOT know for certain that the adapter is that problem. That's because you have NOT checked the recorder with the *correct* adapter. At best you have proved nothing. At worst, using the wrong adapter may have damaged something. You were warned about this previously.

CAREFULLY re-read what we've already told you in detail. CAREFULLY read my posts of Jan.18 and Jan.30. CAREFULLY read other posts from other people before and after my replies. Then CAREFULLY follow our suggestions.

Using the wrong adapter may well damage your recorder. If you really don't want to continue using that recorder (or are too lazy or too obtuse to do what we've suggested) and are ready to get a new one, then say so and quit wasting time playing with this one.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio