Cable question to avoid issues between Tascam DR100 and Senn EW100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 8th, 2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Cable question to avoid issues between Tascam DR100 and Senn EW100

Hallo,

i wanted to ask you what kind of cable should i use to make it work the audio recorded with the lavalier sennheiser with the RX connected trough XLR cable into the Tascam. I don't know wht the XLE of the RX connected with the power on in my tascam doesn't work. I think i should get a different cable. The phantom button is on the TX and RX work perfectly when connected to my old sOny HDV cam but they don't work connected to the Tascam DR100.
Thank you for taking time to help me
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2020, 07:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Cable question to avoid issues between Tascam DR100 and Senn EW100

Have you confirmed that the DR-100 can record from its line input, internal mics, and from a mic connected to the mic inputs?

What switch settings are you using on the DR-100?

Which model Senn are you using?

Are you currently using a Senn-provided cable to connect to the DR-100?
Old November 8th, 2020, 09:30 PM   #3
New Boot

I tried looking up the Sennheiser equipment but they make it so involved with a system of devices under EW100 category. I'm glad I stuck to their hard wired microphones and my wireless units are Rode and Line 6.

The Tascam DR100 seems enough like my DR-40 to suggest those XLR inputs on the DR100 are completely balanced in the correct conventional manner. I know from years of forums that they have been a headache for video camera operators using 1/8" cables and no name lavaliers that don't reveal their signal wiring specifics.

The DR100 should be perfect for recording via its XLR or 1/4" TRS female connectors but only if the sources are either correctly balanced XLR e.g. pin 1 Ground / pin 2 Live (+) / pin 3 Return (-) OR the source is mono on only one contact (either pin 2 or pin 3, not both OR for 1/4" phone plug only the tip or the ring - not both.

The DR100 should not have phantom power ON unless it is a direct connection to a microphone that specifically calls for 24V-48V phantom power. Table top receivers with XLR outputs that I know are not looking for phantom power from the recording device or a mixer.

Can you narrow down specifically what EW 100 unit you have? Hopefully you have the manual for the DR-100 with its very clear diagrams.
Charlie Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2020, 01:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you are using the portable battery operated receiver it is unbalanced, so you simply create a cable that unbalanced the recording equipment xlr input. Centre pin of the 3.5mm jack goes to xlr pin 2. The cable screen from the jack sleeve goes to xlr pins 1 AND 3. Perfectly common cable, and what I use on my camera to get the Sennheiser into the camera audio. If you can't solder, Sennheiser sell them, but they're easy to make. Works on all generations of Sennheiser kit going back to the original first design with 9v batteries to the current ones.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Wrangler

The EW100 receiver spec posted on the B&H web site says the output is 1/8" TRS unbalanced. Ti me that implies the TRS connector has the same mono, unbalanced voltage in both the tip and ring. This configuration works for typical camcorders with a 1/8" TRS jack for external mics. It puts the same signal on both channels. However, if it is connected to a balanced input with a simple TRS-to-XLR adapter (e.g., pin 1 to sleeve, Pin 2 to ring, pin 3 to tip) you will get cancellation of the signal (essentially no sound).

I believe SENN offers an adapter cable specifically wired for use with balanced XLR input connections
Old November 10th, 2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

er...... we've said that, and given the pin connections?
Old November 10th, 2020, 10:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

deleted -- hyperlink did not work
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2020, 10:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

This recent thread over on the DVX forum covered the same DR-100 / EW 100 issue
DR100 and ew100 lavalier connection issues
Old January 19th, 2021, 07:41 PM   #9
Trustee

Thank you my friends for your advices,
The Seen kit is the old ENG G2 ew100. After reading your comments I plugged the Cl 100 cable in the XLR input;
- I switched the input to XLR
- I switched the + 48v to OFF
- I set the audio limiter to off
- i set the Mic Gain to MEDIUM
- I set the lateral wheel of the L/R Input to 10 (maximum)
I can hear the recorded voice trough my headphones but the audio seems too low.

Did i do anything wrong?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 10:35 AM   #10
Inner Circle

On the G-series EK 100 portable receivers, the "AF Audio" setting can increase the Rx (receiver) output level. The "sensitivity" on the TX (transmitter) should be set to an optimal level depending on the source SPL and mic used.
The DR-100 XLR input should be on 'Mic' level. The portable receiver's output is not high enough to feed a +4dB line level input adequately. The Rx's 3.5 mm to XLR cable must be wired for unbalanced operation as well. That cable was included with the system
Old January 20th, 2021, 01:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm wondering if we have misunderstood? Rick thinks you have a battery operated EK100 receiver, but I note you say you have connected to the XLR output? There is ONLY an XLR output on the mains powered receiver. The portable only has 3.5mm jack - so are we talking going FROM a portable receiver 3.5mm out to an XLR INPUT on the Tascam, or are we talking about going from a mains powered receiver XLR out, to the Tascam XLR or Jack inputs.

I'm assuming Rick is correct and you have the receiver that is 3.5mm unbalanced output and all the things about gain etc were what you selected on the transmitter?

The Sennheiser CL1000 has the XLR wired unbalanced - the ground is shorted to one of the lines, unbalancing it. On the settings you say, with the volume on the receiver half way up, and the Tascam XLR set to microphone level, you should have plenty of level - too much to be honest.

Can you confirm we have got it right?
Old January 20th, 2021, 01:43 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The G series EM100 base station Rx has a balanced XLR mic level output.

The G series EW- 112, 122 and 135 (p) systems have the EK-100 battery powered portable receiver which has the 3.5mm output jack (unbalanced mic level, up to around -10dB (nominal) at the max 'AF Audio' output setting.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio