Simple recording session - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 24th, 2021, 04:43 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Simple recording session

Maybe their standard required is lower? I do know from doing the zoom lockdown videos for choirs is that simple stuff can be the hardest. They're not trained, so mess up, or mess you up.

stick music in their ears, record what comes out their mouth and sync it up. The advice to record piano and lead voice separately is really sensible as you end up with a load of tracks that are clean. You then spend the time you want to get them nice enough. Spill is the worst to deal with. sort that and your battle is half over. If you do find good ones, absolutely ask them for a second.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2021, 10:56 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
There's no conductor.
It's hard for me to imagine that. How do they start together? How do they close each phrase together? Does the accompanist serve as the leader? Do the singers watch for a nod of the head? Who signals them if someone starts to go off pitch? How do they keep the performance together? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just very curious. I've sung in a chorus, I had a father who was a choir director, and I've recorded several choirs and choral groups. I'm just trying to envision and understand how this group works differently.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2021, 12:35 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I did a session with them back in the summer and my role was to film so I wasn't paying close attention to what was going on. The cantor must be in the role of conductor when she sings with the pianist they have some sort of visual communication while playing. Then after choir members listen and sing based on recording. The cantor is present so if she says something if it's off. Like I said I don't have much knowledge with recording musicians and singers.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2021, 01:20 PM   #19
Trustee

Pete, thank you. That makes sense to me, more than the "no leader" picture I was trying to imagine.

I guess my suggestion would be to talk with the cantor, ask her about the topic of "conducting," and find out what sort of cues she uses to lead the group. Have her "direct" or lead, as if the entire group were there together. Then get her on video so that the other singers can see all her visual cues when they are recording their tracks. Assuming that is acceptable to the cantor, of course.

I know I tried accompanying (on piano) my parents (violin and cello) and I had to see them in order to get started on time and at tempo. If I waited to hear their first note, then I would come in half a beat late, and it was hell trying to get caught up and in sync with them. (Then again, I'm not at all a good musician.) For me, at least, the visual cues made all the difference in the world.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio