I'm fuming - all my music pulled on the internet! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 11th, 2021, 03:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

I'm fuming - all my music pulled on the internet!

I've got lots of music available on YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon and lots of other outlets and yesterday - the entire lot got removed. All originals or properly licensed covers and nothing dodgy whatsoever. Distrokid, my aggregator just instructed every outlet to remove them and most complied immediately. I'd even got money in the bank account I'd not withdrawn and that has been zero'd too.

Absolutely nothing I can do - I'm waiting for a response - promised within 3 days. All the likes and playlist entries, comments and everything vanished. Even worse - royalties due have vanished. The Youtube videos had my name but were put there by the record company - and today I added the titles to my own YouTube video account. within minutes I had copyright notices saying any monetisation from the video would go to the rights holder who is .......... Paul Johnson, via Distrokid - so they pulled my music but are still collecting the revenue. Total farce - and nothing whatsoever I can do about it!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2021, 05:19 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Re: I'm fuming - all my music pulled on the internet!

That's awful! Hopefully it gets righted.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm really sorry to hear that, Paul. I don't understand the distribution business, but from your description what happened to you (if intentional) sounds unconscionable. At the very least, I hope it was an honest accident or a system glitch, and not anything stemming from malicious intent. Good luck getting it straightened out.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Even though I don't fully comprehend what happened sounds upsetting but should get rectified since you're obviously in the right.

Funny thing I was just reading a streaming article which said even famous dj and musicians have to be careful streaming their own music on mainstream services because it will be flagged and taken down. Someone else posted an article how the police are taking advantage of the same automated copyright scanning.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2021, 03:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sorry to read that Paul. If it happened to you, it’s happening to others and this’ll discourage people from using their services. Let’s know any further developments.

Google is very upset here, the news papers want to charge them and others for using their news items on line. Google has threatened to close their operation in 0z.

🆎
Old February 12th, 2021, 03:55 AM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

Quote:
Google has threatened to close their operation in 0z.
Not only are we calling their obvious bluff, Microsoft have been angling to take over as the search engine of Australia if there were to be such a thing.

Not a fun time for Google, and I have zero sympathy for them, especially as they at YouTube just summarily deleted the account + channel for LifeSiteNews such that all their news reporting/interview videos and 302k subscribers are now effectively evaporated. No legit reason given, and when you're the gorilla sized bully of the video platforms you simply don't have to.

This is a good example of why you have backups of all your video content, and indeed LSN had done this with their channel now on Rumble which from what I can guess is being repopulated with the most recent content first. I'd personally recommend to people that they actively maintain parallel postings on other platforms in addition to what you might be doing on YouTube. It's just not worth the risk.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Still no luck or progress so far - but I've been working hard putting the music on my own account on Youtube as I mentioned. The flagging of met own music is actually OK, because it does prove their ID system does work - although in the past I had Sony claim one of my recordings as their own - and put in a counter claim which I think I won? I've kept screen shots of some sites using my music so I can prove the numbers if I have to.

What annoys me is that I don't artificially inflate the numbers, I don't pay the firms who use bots to generate loads of plays. I make sure all my stuff has the proper licences, I make sure I identify the original composers or writers on PRS and PPL and even make sure the album art is all my own - nothing at all gleaned from internet sources, and make sure the gizmos I use to make it are all legit and licences - You could not be more legit than how I've done it and that makes it worse - not like so much you see and hear that is dodgy in the extreme.

I'll just have to wait and see it through - but legally I think I am sunk as it's all US companies and not much a Brit can do against the biggest aggregator in the world! I'd like too think it's a computer issue with their database? Maybe? Possibly?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio