3M Transpore tape leaves gooey residue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 30th, 2021, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

3M Transpore tape leaves gooey residue

I need to tape lapel mic wire to the inside of people's clothing so they don't fly out. I read somewhere to use 3M transpore tape so that's what I bought. I think this tape was recommended because it is safe to use on skin.

It worked for a while but recently it is leaving gooey tape residue on mic wires.

Why is that? Was it bad idea to use this tape?

Can I use tapes I already have like electrical tape or gaffer's tape for this purpose? I don't need to tape mic wires to skin because people I interview are fully clothed.
Peter Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2021, 12:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 3M Transpore tape leaves gooey residue

It leaves residue that if not cleaned off with isopropyl alcohol, attracts gunge, as all stickier types do. Gaffer has the stickiest surface so will remove fine fibres and need proper cleaning from cable and costume. Electrical tape is useless for your purpose. If you’re happy with transpore for the job, carry on, and just clean properly
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2021, 10:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Unfortunately isopropyl alcohol does not work well removing heavy deposits of the Transpore tape goo, especially if it has been on the cable for a while, It just spreads it around and becomes sticky over a larger area when the alcohol dries. In my experience, GooGone 'Pro Power' works the best. Just leave let it set on the goo for ten minutes or so, then wipe it off with some more GooGone on a paper towel, Then wipe off the GG residue with soap and water or alcohol. WD40 or lighter fluid can work, but not as good as GooGone Pro Pwr. Hospital grade surgical tape remover works good but it is naturally more expensive than the household or industrial products, btw, I would only use the hospital surgical tape remover or alcohol on someone's skin/
Deposits on capsules and such can often be removed by dabbing the residue with a fresh piece of gaffer tape on the goo, which will often stick to the gaffer tape when it is pulled off but YMMV though depending on how long the goo has been there. I have tried mineral oil as well is but the results were mediocre. Avoid getting any kind of solvent or liguid in the capsule.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; October 1st, 2021 at 01:18 PM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2021, 09:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Interesting Rick. I’ve had a Manfrotto 523Proi pan handle for a few years now, it works very well but the rubber mid section has become very ‘sticky.’

Can’t believe a company like that would sell a product like this, I notice it’s been discontinued. Have you seen anything like this and do you have any idea how to remove the sticky - thanks.

Cheers.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 12:42 AM   #5
Major Player

It seems to happen with quite a lot of products, Wacom pens being one of mine. Washing the sticky parts with soap and water helps.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2021, 09:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My response was in regard to 3M's Transpore tape. I have little experience with other sticky substances aside from adhesive tape residue.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:58 PM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Asked an ICU nurse friend and she says they have cleansing wipes they use for any residue. Then she commented that she really only works with 'the big guns' (the really sticky stuff ... probably used for holding people together if I were to take a guess).

The cleansing wipes are likely isopropyl alcohol based, and they would likely only have the tape on for short periods of time such as 24 hours.

I've always used gaff tape and you don't tend to get gunk left behind. If you do, apply and remove some fresh tape which will then pull it away with its superior stickiness.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2021, 04:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks guys, I’ll try a few.

Cheers.
Old October 21st, 2021, 01:03 PM   #9
Major Player

WD40 removes adhesives, crayon, chalk, poster paint and lots of other things.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Ed I’ll give that a shot too.
Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio