What happens when you upsample? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 21st, 2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Major Player

What happens when you upsample?

If I have 44.1kHz sample rate file and convert it to 48kHz assuming non-lossy format (not sure if that's even relevant), what happens? Is it OK to do that? Will hear any difference (I'm not hoping to hear something better obviously) but will there be some kind of quality loss? I just want to make all my files match before I lay them out on the tracks, that's all. I'm not asking how to do it. I just want to know if it's bad to do that or reasons I shouldn't do that.
Thank you
Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What happens when you upsample?

Up-sampling should not degrade quality assuming it is in the PCM format, It will not increase the quality though.
OTOH, down-sampling can reduce quality, though down-sampling from 48k to 44.1kHz file is usually not audible either. If down-sampling is necessary, an anti-alias filter is usually recommended.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2021, 01:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Up-sampling should not degrade quality assuming it is in the PCM format, It will not increase the quality though.
OTOH, down-sampling can reduce quality, though down-sampling from 48k to 44.1kHz file is usually not audible either. If down-sampling is necessary, an anti-alias filter is usually recommended.
Thank you.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2021, 10:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The question is if you can hear the software creating the missing samples - then the algorithm they are using is not too good. In practice, you cannot hear it, but the new waveform is not the same as it was. When the smooth curve is sampled into individual slices, and then extra's are added to replace the 4 thousand missing ones each second, then you have a re-creation - in some music adding an extra in is exactly the same as normal CD/DAT error correction - you can duplicate some frames and few people will notice. Upsampling always degrades, but hopefully not enough to notice.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio